Redcap's Corner December 2014 40k Campaign Tournament
We're hosting a 40k campaign tournament event this December in downtown Philly:
- What: The Cataclysm on Caldor IV
- When: Saturday, December 20, 2014; reg opens at 11am, games at noon
- Where: Redcap's Corner
- Redcap's Corner Powelton Village
3617 Lancaster Ave
Philadelphia, PA, 19104
- Redcap's Corner Powelton Village
- Entry: $10 per player.
- Early Signup: Doodle
- Organizers: Colin Kielick, Joe Kopena, John Lamanna, and the PAGE minis crew
Early signup is not required but will help us plan and is much appreciated.
Continuing from last month's campaign tournament, players and teams will be attempting to secure the Scythe of Unbound Light, an ancient war machine of incredible might that the Legions of Discord located but could not retrieve. Time is running out though as the Forces of Order have already committed to extinguishing the planet, so it's all-in for a last minute bid to secure it.
This event will consist of:
- Four rounds of Recon Squad, an unofficial, free skirmish variant of 40k.
- The Cataclysm, a mini-Apocalypse all-hands brawl with everyone throwing down together.
Specific missions will be announced in advance of the event.
Players must prepare two armies:
- A 200pt list following the Recon Squad rules.
- A 500pt list containing the 200pt army, no HQs outside of any in the Recon Squad, and otherwise following standard 40k rules.
The Recon Squad rounds will be played using the 200pt list. For the Cataclysm players will add 300 pts to their Recon Squad to form a 500pt list. The Recon Squad's Leader model (defined in the rules) will be elevated to become an Independent Character HQ with +1WS +1BS +1I +1W, and must be the army's warlord. Recon Squad doesn't permit allies in the 200pt list, but the 500pt Cataclysm army can include multiple factions, be Unbound or Battle Forged, and so on. The Leader will count toward being Battle Forged for the Cataclysm.
In Recon Squad all models fight as individual warriors, as explained in detail in the rules and FAQ. For the Cataclysm all models and units play as in a standard 40k game except that the leader becomes an IC.
- Caldor IV Campaign Book
- Recon Squad Rules [PDF] and Recon Squad FAQ [PDF]
- Cataclysm Rules
- Scorecards [PDF]
- Painting Vote Ballots [PDF]
The judge(s) will step in to play if there is otherwise an odd number.
Prizes will be given to overall winners, best general, and painting. The specific distribution is TBA.
A total of 100 points are available for the day to determine overall results:
- 60 points for match results
- 25 points for painting and craftsmanship
- 15 points for sportsmanship
Each of the four Recon Squad missions will be worth up to 12 points toward match results. A combination of team and personal objectives in The Cataclysm will yield the remaining 12 points.
Painting and craftsmanship is scored objectively by the judge(s), applying this rubric to the entire army:
- All models assembled and primed: +5 pts
- All models three-color minimum: +5 pts
- All models based (paint/flock): +5 pts
- Advanced painting techniques present (washes, drybrushing, etc): +5 pts
- Advanced basing techniques present: +5 pts
Sportsmanship scores include two components:
- The sum of the sportsmanship scores for each mission (12 pts available).
- Points earned through players ranking their favorite opponents at the end of the day (3 pts available).
Given enough players, a painting & craftsmanship prize will be awarded based on player voting. This is separate from the paint scores included in the overall standings. Players may put forward their whole army for this vote, or a subset they have masterfully painted. You cannot vote for yourself. Make sure to have your army on display throughout the day!
Doors open at 11am and the gaming kicks off at high noon. Each of the Recon Squad missions will play for an hour. The teams will meet briefly before each mission to strategize in secret, and then come together to resolve match details and campaign decisions. Details:
|12:00||Team & Campaign Meeting|
|1:25||Team & Campaign Meeting|
|2:40||Team & Campaign Meeting|
|3:50||Team & Campaign Meeting|
|5:00||Dinner and Army/Model Displays|
|9:30||Campaign Outcome & Prizes|