January 2018 Infinity Narrative Event---The Gifts of Dr Tokh
- What: Infinity Narrative Event---The Gifts of Dr Tokh
- When: Noon, Sunday, January 28, 2018
- Where: Redcap's Corner
- 3850 Lancaster Ave
Philadelphia, PA, 19104
- 3850 Lancaster Ave
- Entry: $10 per player on-site
- Facebook: (event to be posted)
Our first narrative event for Infinity! This is a 1-day micro-campaign held across three RECON+ rounds and a RECON+ doubles finale. Please contact us with any questions.
Rules below are solid but should be considered draft and subject to tweaks and elaboration until further notice. Comments and questions are welcome.
A research campus of the notorious rogue scientist Dr Tokh has finally been located! Several forces have joined up to shut it down, while others that have been secretly sponsoring her need to hide their involvement. In some cases factions have strike teams fighting from both angles, a glaring example of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing amid the sprawling governments of the Human Sphere.
At the start of the event players will divide up into two alliances (mostly irrespective of faction):
- The Regulators have come to shut down a research campus of the notorious rogue scientist Dr Tokh and quietly grab whatever they can of her work.
- The Creditors have come to aggressively salvage whatever they can of the research they've sponsored and destroy any evidence implicating themselves.
Dr Tokh's campus has four primary quadrants:
- Cyber-Informatics Laboratory
- Bio/Xenological Laboratory
- MechEngineering Laboratory
- Physical Services Plant
There are also a few smaller sites of interest within the campus, such as the Airpad/SAM Site.
These all surround the campus' central Datacenter complex.
There are three levels of objectives for the alliances---
- Tactical: Objective points earned across all matches
- Strategic: Control of the campus quadrants, sites, and central complex
- Campaign: Retrieving critical secrets from the Datacenter
The Mercs extra may be utilized if desired, as given in the RECON+ rules.
You must select one 12XP Spec-Ops trooper, your Special Agent, and include it in each of your 3 lists with exactly the same base profile, weapons, skills, and equipment in each. The army points for its underlying base profile are to be included within the 150pt limit for each list but it does not count toward the AVA of that base profile unit (both these rules are as Army 6 implements). Remember though that Spec-Ops can be part of Fireteams composed of troops from their base profile's unit (per Campaign Paradiso).
YOU MUST RESPECT AVA ACROSS ALL 3 LISTS COMBINED! The Spec-Ops selection, which implicitly has an AVA of 1, is ignored for this as it is considered the same trooper in each list---your Special Agent manages to be present at all of your strike team's critical moments.
One list is to be designated your Strike Team Core for the event.
Perhaps the easiest way to ensure you respect AVA across all three lists is to build a single list in the army builder of three Combat Groups. Keep each group to at most 150 army points minus the base profile cost of your Spec-Ops selection (Army 6 shows a tally per group in their header lines). E.g., a Fusilier Spec-Ops is 10 army points, so each group has 140pts remaining. Save that mega-list to three other slots, then go into each to delete two Combat Groups, flip a trooper to being a Lieutenant, and add your Spec-Ops selection. You do though need to create 3 lists, rather than just coming with a 450pt list, to be certain each is within the points limit, has a Lieutenant, etc., and you can readily provide accurate courtesy lists.
The campaign will proceed across four rounds. Mission details will be posted before the event.
Everybody plays one mission, Breach Point, attempting to secure entry for their alliance into a quadrant of the facility. The alliances alternate putting forward a player to attack a specific gate they want to control and the other responding with a player attempting to take it for themselves (not defending the gate per se).
[one 90 minute RECON+ round]
Rounds 2 & 3
Alliances alternate putting forward a player and a target, either a primary quadrant or one of the other sites of interest. Each target is associated with a specific mission: Placing an EMP among the power generators in the Physical Services Plant, stealing a virus from the Bio/Xenological Lab, knocking out SAMs at the Airpad to secure your exfiltration point, etc.. Alliances can send a squad to any target, but there's a small buff available if your alliance controls a gate or quadrant connected to it (+3 MOD to Initiative roll is one idea).
[two 90 minute RECON+ rounds]
Players within each alliance team up for a finale doubles round (some players might field two lists on their own if we have uneven numbers). All teams play a single mission within the Datacenter, attempting to secure and destroy Dr Tokh's most critical data. There will be small bonuses for this based on controlling the surrounding quadrants, and for secondary objectives achieved in the earlier missions. For example, hacking secondary consoles in the preceding missions will give you hints as to which servers are most important.
[one 2.5 hour RECON+ doubles round]
If you play a list other than your Strike Team Core and end any match with 25% of the available army points or less remaining (i.e., 38pts in RECON+ without Baggage), then that list may not be used again in the subsequent rounds. Your Strike Team Core is always available. Despite being considered a single trooper, your Special Agent is fielded in each round regardless of being a casualty or not in previous missions.
Additional small buffs may be granted to your Special Agent and some other troopers based on experience gained in each mission; details are yet to be determined.
The doubles round will work as follows---
Partners are chosen at the start of the round, they don't need to be orchestrated in advance. Their army lists do NOT need to from the same faction or aligned in any way. Which army list to field from their respective remaining pre-selected lists are chosen by each player at the start of the match, after their partner, mission, and opponents are determined.
Teammates play together, interleaving orders as they wish in their active turn, with their models considered friendly but the armies otherwise separate. For example, this means:
- Your teammates' models do not trigger AROs from your troopers, somewhat obviously.
- Your troopers can move through your teammates' models following the usual rules as though your own.
- Both armies have a Lieutenant, generate a Lieutenant Order, and go into Loss of Lietenant separately.
- Both players generate their own Order pool as usual. Orders cannot be shared or applied to teammate's troopers.
- Both players get four Command Tokens. They cannot be shared or applied to Tactical Uses on your teammate's troopers. You also cannot move troopers between the two army lists.
- Buffs and abilities like Inspiring Leadership and Chain of Command do not carry over.
- Retreat only applies if both armies combined are below quarter strength.
- Players' troopers may doctor/medikit, engineer, and hack their teammates' troopers.
- Note that only these abilities may be applied; e.g., Sensor is not shared.
- Only one teammate may invoke a Strategic Use of Command Tokens. Nullified orders may be distributed across your opponents as they could for combat groups.
All entry fees go toward store credit prizes. Awards will be given for standings within each alliance and in-game achievements as participation permits. There will also be an army painting vote and prize (or more than one, as participation permits), so get your squad done up real pretty! You must put at least your Strike Team Core on display for this competition, but may include troopers from your other lists as you wish.
Doors open at 11am, players must be present by 11:50, dice start rolling at noon! There will be a short break before the final round to get dinner on your own. We will conclude by 9pm.