Darkest Dungeon

Board for chatting up all our anti-social electronic endeavors.

Moderator: jwoolf

Oblivionh
Hunter
Name: n/a
What's your favorite game?: n/a

Darkest Dungeon

Post by Oblivionh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:01 am

Recently my videogame addiction has been frozen because of warhammer. Wargaming takes up a lot of time.

The only game I had on my plate recently was Dragon Age: Inquisition which I finally wrapped up over the weekend. It fizzled out in the end and left me feeling meh. So I have been looking for a new game to pick up and decided to grab Darkest Dungeon off of Steam early access.

Darkest Dungeon is a serious contender for my game of the year for 2015. The game is very fun. The setting finds you traveling through what reminds me of something out of the Hound of the Baskervilles in order to reach your families historic manor. The manor, like most manors, is overrun with creatures most foul. The goal becomes simple: drive the monsters back and reclaim your birth right.

The gameplay is a turn based rpg with heavy party management and roguelike elements (perma-death, randomized dungeon elements, lots of characters). You select a party of adventurers from a pool that you recruit. I ended up with two teams of 4:
1) Team 1 a.k.a "Team is Terrible" consisted of a Plague Doctor (my buffer/poisoner), a Crusader (paladin), a Highwayman (flintlock guns), and a Cleric (my healer)
2) Team 2 a.k.a "Team A-team" consisted of a Barbarian (damage dealer), a Barbarian (tank), a Plague Doctor (debuff/healer), and a Scoundrel (knife dps)
The game has a variety of unique features. While permadeath exists and party members take damage, party members also take damage to their mental health. I had several characters stop being effective because their mental health had deteriorated so much that they could no longer function properly. This is why my Team 1 is terrible. The Crusader is now afraid of everything and panics half the time. The Plague Doctor is a masochist who likes to hurt himself and has a drinking problem. My cleric has a gambling problem and is afraid of demons. The highwayman is just full of snark but otherwise his sanity is in tack. Team 2 has none of these problems and spends its days steam rolling dungeons without a scratch. Honestly, I think the Barbarian is super overpowered.

Check out the game and give it a try. Keep in mind it is early access but I think it has been more than worth it so far.

jwoolf
Fallen
Name: Jason
What's your favorite game?: Mordheim!

Re: Darkest Dungeon

Post by jwoolf » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:23 am

I've been waiting for this to come out for over a year, and it's fantastic. I love it. It's like Hero Quest meets Mordheim meets Call of Cthulhu, as drawn by Mike Mignola of Hellboy.
headwound! minis: http://www.headwoundminis.com/

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

Oblivionh
Hunter
Name: n/a
What's your favorite game?: n/a

Post by Oblivionh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:10 am

What kind of party do you run? So far my favorite combination has been a Cleric, A barbarian (not sure what Darkest Dungeon calls the class), a Highwayman, and a Scoundrel

jwoolf
Fallen
Name: Jason
What's your favorite game?: Mordheim!

Post by jwoolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm

It usually depends on who is sane at any given time, but my "A team" is a Vestal, Highwayman, Leper, and Crusader. My Crusader has SO MANY neuroses but he also has a tendency to become Stalwart instead of becoming psychotic when his sanity breaks, so badass.
headwound! minis: http://www.headwoundminis.com/

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

Mcbay
Squig
Name: Kevin
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer

Post by Mcbay » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:07 am

Did anyone here beat Darkest Dungeon? Does that game even have an ending or does it generate dungeons for as long as you want to play it?