Robopocalypse

Talking about all the sci-fi, fantasy, and other fiction we love.

Moderator: jwoolf

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Robopocalypse

Post by tjkopena » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:16 am

I just finished reading Robopocalypse by Dan Wilson. Doesn't quite live up to the huge amount of hype around it, but of course that's to be expected. Very recommended for this crowd. Philly library has it; I read it from their digital e-book collection.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Re: Robopocalypse

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 am

Joe,

I also liked the book for it's Terminator like topic. I listed to the Audio book, which was VERY well done!

Lovell
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Thu May 02, 2013 8:57 am

I just read Amped by the same author. Similarly recommended. A lot of it is fairly predictable, but the opening half has a lot of good parts, and the remainder moves quickly & is entertaining to read, just not as deep. Also available electronically from the Free Library.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 pm

What's the subject of Amped?
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Thu May 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Human augmentation. A chip is developed that can amplify your mental functions, and eventually a bunch of the population doesn't take too kindly to that. Lots of good stuff in the initial world building, e.g., giving these chips out to veterans, the disabled, etc., and some of the action scenes are good. You should definitely track this down, Lovell, I think you'll really like it. Bit predictable, but I really enjoyed it as well.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks Joe, I just picked it up on Audible. I am driving to Connecticut next week, so I'll get some listening time in during the drive. I'll give you my feedback when I'm done.

Lovell

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Joe,

I finished Amped. It was an ok read. I thought the topic had way more potential than the story actually delivered.

Lovell

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Lovell, I agree with that assessment. I thought it started off fairly strong, I liked a lot of the world building about the introduction of the chips and stuff, but the latter half of the book was definitely not as good. Still though, both books are solid, so I'm curious what that author comes out with next.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 pm

QUESTION: Would YOU get a chip?

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Wed May 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Ohmygod yes, without question.