AD&D 1e thoughts, interest

Space to chat about D&D, Star Wars, 3:16, and any other roleplaying games.

Moderator: jwoolf

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

AD&D 1e thoughts, interest

Post by DA John » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:04 pm

I started an AD&D 1e campaign at the request of some old cronies. Refreshing my recollection of the rules and reading some of my old TSR modules reminded me of my love/hate for the game. After brewing up a dungeon and playing a couple of sessions, I think:

1. This game was insanely lethal using TSR's module's or Gygax's random dungeon tables. As designed, saving throws vs. poison would occur in every other room, and neutralize poison is a 4th level spell. A reasonable dungeon for 1st-level characters can only use about 8 of the monsters from the first MM.

2. The cleric is very clearly the most powerful 1st level class in the game and none of my PCs wants to play one. Nobody wants to play the cleric is a real thing, apparently.

3. I remember reading the Pathfinder rules and thinking, these characters are OP. So I used the original DMG rules for starting magic-user spells (4 known spells to choose from). Of course, the PC got sleep. After rolling up the result of a sleep spell in 1e at the climax of the second level of the dungeon, it may have just made more sense to play Pathfinder.

4. It was a blast. I forgot how much fun it was for PCs to blunder around dungeons, run away, and then try to con their patrons into thinking the job is done.
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway

jwoolf
Fallen
Name: Jason
What's your favorite game?: Mordheim!

Re: AD&D 1e thoughts, interest

Post by jwoolf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:32 pm

Oh man this is the coolest. Tell us more!
headwound! minis: http://www.headwoundminis.com/

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

Post by DA John » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:37 pm

They made it through the first adventure---it took them 3 sessions---and I started gearing up for the larger campaign. Notable feats and things:

They almost got wiped by . . . skeletons. And giant centipedes.

They ran away from . . . a manes (the most minor demon, essentially a naked red halfling). Much research and thought went into their return to the dungeon, where they missed with their first flask of holy water. Hilarity ensued.

The ranger/magic-user . . . alienated the town enchantress and needs to find someone else to train him.

The campaign is set . . . on Caliban and since none of them play 40k they have no idea what's in the forests.

The barony they live in . . . is riddled with secret societies they have navigate.
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:49 am

DA John wrote:They made it through the first adventure---it took them 3 sessions---and I started gearing up for the larger campaign. Notable feats and things:

They almost got wiped by . . . skeletons. And giant centipedes.

They ran away from . . . a manes (the most minor demon, essentially a naked red halfling). Much research and thought went into their return to the dungeon, where they missed with their first flask of holy water. Hilarity ensued.

The ranger/magic-user . . . alienated the town enchantress and needs to find someone else to train him.

The campaign is set . . . on Caliban and since none of them play 40k they have no idea what's in the forests.

The barony they live in . . . is riddled with secret societies they have navigate.
As an experienced role player/Game Master, I'd like to say...this is some good sh#t!!!!!!
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord