D&D from the beginning.

Space to chat about D&D, Star Wars, 3:16, and any other roleplaying games.

Moderator: jwoolf

Arborwolf
Nob
Name: Carlo
What's your favorite game?: Shadowfist

D&D from the beginning.

Post by Arborwolf » Sat May 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Looking for some folks who may want to start playing D&D. I haven't played before, but plan on picking up some of the materials within the next week or so. Just looking to have some fun with it!

timothyd4y
Crux Mechanicus
Name: Timothy Day
What's your favorite game?: Craps

Re: D&D from the beginning.

Post by timothyd4y » Wed May 18, 2016 9:05 am

I was just reading about the Dark Heresy RPG. Are you set on D&D?

jwoolf
Fallen
Name: Jason
What's your favorite game?: Mordheim!

Post by jwoolf » Wed May 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Carlo, have you purchased anything yet? There are hundreds of systems for tabletop RPGs, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend Dungeons & Dragons just because it's the brand name. However, I haven't been "current" with RPGs for many years so it's possible that's a great choice. I'm not saying don't buy D&D, but read up on a few different systems first - some of them are good for different things. For example, I played D&D 4th edition and I absolutely hated it because to me it played like a tabletop version of an MMO. But the other players in my group who were more combat-focused liked it quite a bit more.

I really enjoy Pathfinder - it's not too difficult, but it also has plenty of options and supports both combat and non-combat roleplaying. I also happen to have about ten pounds worth of pathfinder books that I've used maybe twice.

I'm pretty interested in some type of tabletop RPG, but it would depend a lot on the frequency and location of the meetings. I will say this as a piece of advice, in my experience playing D&D via teleconferencing is really tricky to work and not nearly as much fun.
headwound! minis: http://www.headwoundminis.com/

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

timothyd4y
Crux Mechanicus
Name: Timothy Day
What's your favorite game?: Craps

Post by timothyd4y » Wed May 18, 2016 12:56 pm

jwoolf
Fallen

Post by jwoolf » Wed May 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Looks super cool, even with the catperson, which is saying a lot.

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

Arborwolf
Nob

Post by Arborwolf » Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 pm

I have yet to purchase anything, but a few people that I've talked to expect that we'll be playing D&D. However, most of them haven't played table top RPGs before so it may be possible to convince them to play something else. I've never played DND legitimately, so I've been interested in getting some time in on it.

Yeah I'm not too keen on the video conferencing, but I have some friends that live an hour or so from the city that want to play so I'll have to see how to get them in on it, but it just might not be possible.

Arborwolf
Nob

Post by Arborwolf » Wed May 18, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm going to take a look and throw like 5 or 6 games in a Facebook group for everyone to vote on, some of these alternatives definitely look cool. Thanks Jason/Tim

jwoolf
Fallen

Post by jwoolf » Wed May 18, 2016 9:37 pm

"D&D" is sort of a catchall phrase for tabletop RPGs. If someone asked you for a Kleenex and you handed them a CVS facial tissue, they wouldn't turn you down. Unless your group is familiar with a certain edition of D&D I don't think they'll notice.

Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade you from D&D! I don't know anything at all about the current edition. I'm just saying, do your research first. There are a ton of great systems that all do different things, and I don't mean just in terms of setting, but in terms of gameplay as well. Do you want a storyline and interaction between characters? That's one thing. Do you want to explore rooms, disarm traps, and kill monsters? That's another. A mix of the two? That's yet another option.

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

Arborwolf
Nob

Post by Arborwolf » Thu May 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Sweet deal. I had no idea there was so much out there! I'll take a look this weekend while I have off and see what are some good options.

Arborwolf
Nob

Post by Arborwolf » Thu May 26, 2016 8:29 am

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, we have created a Facebook group to discuss when and where we will meet, and what we are going to play. We have 8 or so choices we are voting on so far.