PAGE Forum Posts

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

PAGE Forum Posts

Post by Cable » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 pm

Time to charge up the "paddles" :?:

On " life support" :?:
Last edited by Cable on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Admiral5harm
Father Knight
What's your favorite game?: B5 wars

Re: PAGE Dying ?

Post by Admiral5harm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:55 pm

prepared 300 Mg of Epinephrine (Adrenaline).
charge paddles to 400
stand by
clear! :o
begin chest compression.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.
John Adams

It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire

jwoolf
Fallen
Name: Jason
What's your favorite game?: Mordheim!

Post by jwoolf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 pm

This is actually one of the highest periods of activity we've had since The Arts Parlor, but it's just that the traffic is being distributed across a variety of platforms. People are finding other places to play board games, which has been the story for years, but miniatures are alive and well within the group.

It's a little confusing, because for some reason there's a Redcap's facebook group and a PAGE facebook group, but there are plenty of games being played. PAGE membership is less formal and has been for years now, but we have an active group of players and are solely in charge of organizing gaming events in our area. From my point of view it's far from dying.

Speaking of events, other than the one event per year that I run (with a lot of help), Joe is the only PAGE person taking responsibility for organizing PAGE activities and I think he's starting to feel the burn. We also just had a major two day event only a month ago. If people want to see more going on, we're going to have to help Joe share the load like I did with my Shadow War league (which, not to belabor the point, was also strongly attended and ran for over 6 weeks).

We're not dying, we're just not on the forums as much as we used to be.
headwound! minis: http://www.headwoundminis.com/

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Post by Cable » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:10 pm

jwoolf wrote:This is actually one of the highest periods of activity we've had since The Arts Parlor, but it's just that the traffic is being distributed across a variety of platforms. People are finding other places to play board games, which has been the story for years, but miniatures are alive and well within the group.

It's a little confusing, because for some reason there's a Redcap's facebook group and a PAGE facebook group, but there are plenty of games being played. PAGE membership is less formal and has been for years now, but we have an active group of players and are solely in charge of organizing gaming events in our area. From my point of view it's far from dying.

Speaking of events, other than the one event per year that I run (with a lot of help), Joe is the only PAGE person taking responsibility for organizing PAGE activities and I think he's starting to feel the burn. We also just had a major two day event only a month ago. If people want to see more going on, we're going to have to help Joe share the load like I did with my Shadow War league (which, not to belabor the point, was also strongly attended and ran for over 6 weeks).

We're not dying, we're just not on the forums as much as we used to be.
Jason, thanks for the response + for Admiral5harm's humor too :!:

Dead is a relative term. I was realy referring to the lack of discourse here lately about......well anything :!: :!:

The other "social outlets" seem to be sucking the LIFE out of PAGE forums, which I'm sure others like myself enjoyed following. Sure the "Arts Parlor" crowd is gone....although Redcap's does offer them plenty of room to roam.
Not sure all the Redcaps facebook crew even know this page exists. Anyone....feel free to correct, if I'm wrong.

Jason, this is certainly no reflection on you, Joe, Colin or anyone else who has volunteered their time over the past several years :!:

Commodus
Princeps
Name: Alex
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40K

Post by Commodus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm not nearly close to the area, so I'm speaking of things I don't entirely know, but...

Seeing the after-action pictures on the PAGE website and Facebook, following along with the blogs linked there, hearing news filtering this far east of how NOVA has been coming along over the past few years (in which your guys have had a significant part to play), and seeing/hearing how much work Joe, Colin and others are putting into events like LibertyHammer... if PAGE is considered dying, then it's hard to imagine what overwhelming vitality other groups must be showing. I make the trip out (or at least, as far as I can before I melt a piston...) because you're more alive than anything on my side of the mountains.

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Post by unseelied » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Well, when I first joined page it was a paid membership club. We had our own space which we paid for and back then the forum was pretty much the only way to stay in touch. 40k was once a month on a Sunday if I remember correctly. The only event I remember was the yearly apoc game.

Now we are part of Redcaps not really our own separate entity. Social media is dominate and forums in general are rarely used now. If there is a steady 40k day its most likely on a weeknight which is inconvenient for people who live outside the city. I do not actually know if there is one since it would be on a weeknight and the place I could find out would be facebook which I do not use. We do have a lot more events now.

In effect we went from a club to more of a loose association. PAGE has changed to fit the times better. Doesn't really fit me better honestly. I preferred the old days and the old ways. However, for good or ill the change has already happened and there isn't any point in crying over the spilt milk. I try to take advantage of what the new page offers, which for me and my situation ends up being the more frequent events. An argument can be made as to why do need to be a PAGE member if I can just go to the events anyway but I am already a PAGE member so it doesn't really matter.

I can see how Tom could say PAGE has died. The PAGE I joined years ago is certainly dead and gone. The new PAGE is very, very different. A different kind of organization for a different time.

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Post by Cable » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:34 pm

unseelied wrote:Well, when I first joined page it was a paid membership club. We had our own space which we paid for and back then the forum was pretty much the only way to stay in touch. 40k was once a month on a Sunday if I remember correctly. The only event I remember was the yearly apoc game.

Now we are part of Redcaps not really our own separate entity. Social media is dominate and forums in general are rarely used now. If there is a steady 40k day its most likely on a weeknight which is inconvenient for people who live outside the city. I do not actually know if there is one since it would be on a weeknight and the place I could find out would be facebook which I do not use. We do have a lot more events now.

In effect we went from a club to more of a loose association. PAGE has changed to fit the times better. Doesn't really fit me better honestly. I preferred the old days and the old ways. However, for good or ill the change has already happened and there isn't any point in crying over the spilt milk. I try to take advantage of what the new page offers, which for me and my situation ends up being the more frequent events. An argument can be made as to why do need to be a PAGE member if I can just go to the events anyway but I am already a PAGE member so it doesn't really matter.

I can see how Tom could say PAGE has died. The PAGE I joined years ago is certainly dead and gone. The new PAGE is very, very different. A different kind of organization for a different time.
I prefer to cry over............................................."Spilt Beer" :mrgreen:

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:17 am

This is a great topic and s I travel around, I have this conversation with a lot of long-time members. The issue is multi-faceted - how does a person become a "member of "PAGE" and what distinguishes membership.

Since we have moved to RedCaps, we have connected with WAY more gamers, played WAY more games. I think there are some people who are not officially members of PAGE but consider themselves a part of our group. A perfect example is Alex (Sascha) who I would challenge any efforts to exclude him from a PAGE activity. I see PAGE as a social organization that revolves around gaming - although there are other things to be sure!

We originally established the website to draw more members, and because Facebook was not really a mechanism for communications back then. Now we have the PAGE Facebook site, and this website - because not everyone is on Facebook (plus I think we still want to keep a channel that's not totally dependent on Facebook).

We still organize events, we still communicate activity, we still go to conventions together, when we find ourselves in public gaming forums, we still give the secret, subtle nod and congregate. When we collected dues, some of us felt it was to maintain/pay rent, others to limit the people we gamed/interacted with - this has always been a fundamental difference in our view of what PAGE was.

I game at 6 different locations - RedCaps, 7th Dimension, Stomping Grounds, Alternate Universe, Showcase Comics, Gamers Heaven, and the Games Keep - and I run into run into PAGE members at EVERY location! When I am communicating with a PAGE member, to organize a game, we can now pick whichever location and time is convenient. Every week, I can play all the types of games I want - board, card, miniature, and electronic (which I do mostly at home and often enough with other PAGE members via XBox - don't judge me!) Wherever I go, I talk about PAGE, invite people to the forums, and generally aggravate people by my shrewd and cunning playstyle (as well as occasionally using my desktop publishing skills to make up rules and fake rulebooks).

PAGE is gaming. PAGE is creating and connecting gamers with gamers - whether its 1-on-1 or organization-to-organization. I guarantee you the people at the NOVA Convention know about PAGE. The people at RedCaps know about PAGE (although we could do more to advertise/publicize within the store), and the annual PAGE APOC game is still considered....wait for it...LEGENDARY!

Lovell
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Post by Cable » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Lovell,..........."great write up" :!: :!:

....................................................................BUT, part of my frustration is that the "forums" are what I was referring to....."DYING"
I really like it that I can ask a question on the Redcaps'Dudes/Facebook/Messenger/ page + get a quick answers to usually 40K questions. Also the quick posts on gaming related matters are helpful. I realize the "time + technology marches forward", while I'm still wearing "cement Nikes" :mrgreen:

I feel "some info" would be great , if posted onto a PAGE forum where it can be found by anyone needing it or interested in reading about a particular topic :!:
It's been a week since I started this "thread" It has about 73- views + ............only 5- replies :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Who said........................ANYTHING ABOUT "BANNING ALEX" :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: