Dads of PAGE

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

sonikn2o
Squig
Name: Zach
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Dads of PAGE

Post by sonikn2o » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Dads of PAGE - how do you have time to game? What is your secret? I'm new to this forum and just looking for some advice.

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

Re: Dads of PAGE

Post by DA John » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Umm... There is still time to game. Not as much, sure, but I get to 2 all-day events per year and play occasional evening games of 40k. A nearby buddy is starting 40k and I expect to play every month once he's got a few hundred points together. I also get a couple of evenings a month for rpgs.

I know that probably sounds horrible if you're used to getting lots of games in.
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Post by unseelied » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:24 pm

I have a one year old and I have to say that hobby time has dropped drastically. I'd estimate I have about one tenth of the time I used to have. I have had to radically rethink my hobby. I am building a tank now for the upcoming berks assault but what would normally have taken a couple of days will now take me four weeks. I am building less and I am cherry picking events that I will attend. I know I have had a good time at the berks assault in past years so since I don't get a chance to get out to many events anymore I am going to that one while passing up others. I used to weeknight game quite a bit but that has gone by the wayside for the most part. Honestly, if I get some free time I often would rather just sleep. Hopefully, in the years to come, my son will join me in my hobby time but for now he sucks away all free time like sponge. In the end family is more important than 40k. Maybe not battlefleet gothic but certainly 40k.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:36 pm

(This is MY moment!)

I have time to game, and I think I am a "reasonably" good father. First and foremost, if you believe in gaming, you WILL teach your children to game. ALL of my children game - they can pick their poison, but they do game. I start early - but this does lead you to playing some games that will be drastically different than 40K. I play weekly...at least. Now mind you, I no longer have small kids, but except for when I was in grad school, and on special occasions, I maintained my weekly gaming. EVERYONE who knows me knows that in general you will find me on Sunday nights playing at either PAGE or a PAGE related activity. My sons started gaming at home with me as soon as they could read - even if just a little. In fact I used the ability to play more games as an enticement for them to improve their reading. Now my sons are better rounded gamers than a lot of people I know. I take them to conventions with me (and have for years), and now my daughter is looking to go.

The bast way to game and maintain a family...include your family!

Lovell
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

sonikn2o
Squig
Name: Zach

Post by sonikn2o » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 am

Greetings - Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Ironically my brother in law and I just got back into 40k. We both have not played since 2nd edition, so we had a lot of catching up to do. We try to get games in twice a month and keep our point count low (500-750), because we never know if we will be able to finish a game because of parental responsibilities. Even with our expanding families we would like to keep it at least once a month sessions going. Thanks again for all the advice.

jwoolf
Fallen
Name: Jason
What's your favorite game?: Mordheim!

Post by jwoolf » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:25 pm

EL Presidente!!!! wrote:(This is MY moment!)

I have time to game, and I think I am a "reasonably" good father.
Don't listen to Lovell, he is father of the year 20 years running... And as far as gaming, we're all pretty sure he only had kids for the built-in gaming opponents...
headwound! minis: http://www.headwoundminis.com/

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Post by unseelied » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 pm

His children were forced to learn how to read. Imagine all the rule bending that would occur if they couldn't check the rules themselves.

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Post by Cable » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:12 pm

HEY GUYS..........stop pickin' on Lovell :!:

He puts in a lotta' work......... writin' his own codexes (codicie, codicii ?....crap I just can't spell) :mrgreen:

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:14 pm

You forget a few rules...draft your own codex...make a few "adjustments" to improve game play, and your branded for life!
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

Post by DA John » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:28 pm

EL Presidente!!!! wrote:You forget a few rules...draft your own codex...make a few "adjustments" to improve game play, and your branded for life!
"You see, son, reanimation protocols are on a 2+ because that model is on the table."
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway