June 24+25: LibertyHammer 40k Narrative

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: June 24+25: LibertyHammer 40k Narrative

Postby Cable » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 pm

tjkopena wrote:Important addendum: I lost track and thought there were only vague rumors about the rules being made free online. But the announcement FAQ says:

How can I get the rules?
We’re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing. The core rules for the game will be free, and you’ll have several options on how you get your hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.

Definitely a bit of leeway there. From just that statement you could wind up in a situation where you didn't actually have enough rules to play a full game or at a tournament kind of level. But Age of Sigmar had basically everything available for free at launch so presumably if they're saying this for 40k then they'll do similarly. So maybe getting the materials won't actually be a problem?

Joe,...howsabout' scaling down the army size/points. This would leave more time for people to check/reference the new rules while playing in the tourney :?: :?:

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Postby Cable » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:23 pm

LATEST RUMOR....................has a $120 box set of Plague Marines vs. Ultramarines with soft cover rulebook and usual extras being released on..........................................................................................................................................................................................................June 17th. :!:

...take with a grain of "rock-salt" :mrgreen:

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Postby tjkopena » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm thinking about it for NOVA, but it'd be tough to go below 1k for LibertyHammer unless the game is very different. it's definitely a different style of play and armies at that point, and I think a hard sell for a lot of people to get interested. Also, no indication that this aspect made it into the final game, but earlier my crystal ball was saying that parts of the new army construction rules pushed heavily toward 500 point increments, so 1000, 1500, and 2000 points were going to be standard. Either way, if many models are more costly that will make the model count lower and hopefully games faster. Similarly, if the rules are actually streamlined, maybe that will negate being unfamiliar and learning on the fly.

Commodus
Princeps
Name: Alex
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40K

Postby Commodus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 pm

It's a narrative event, right? What if things were tweaked somewhat to be both a story-driven, quasi-competitive event and a learning experience/tutorial for the new edition? Get some of the players who have more AoS experience, or are quick learners, to help the newer people get up to speed. Worst case, we all learn together.

Maybe even switch the single-player and team events so the first day everyone has a partner to help figure things out. It could be a huge draw for the weekend if players can come get their feet wet, have fun, and learn in a relatively casual environment instead of figuring it out alone or jumping into a fully-competitive tournament.

I'm also thinking that if the new edition does drop first, and it's as good as a lot of people are hoping, it'll be kind of a buzzkill to stick with clunky old 7th (in comparison). Even if, technically, it might be easier because most people know it.

BigRedOne82
Iron Within
Name: Colin
What's your favorite game?: WH40K

Postby BigRedOne82 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 pm

As someone who has been a rather vocal detractor of 7th edition, I would definitely say go for 8th all the way! There might be some logistics issues with a release on the day of the event, but hopefully Redcaps can ensure that they have enough free rules to go around--I heard that stores were going to have printed copies of the free release, but if it's available digitally we could probably get by with smart phones and laptops/tablets. The only question is will there be enough copies of the army rules? Everyone would have to buy them that day too...
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons
KoW: Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins, Ogres & Dwarves
Infinity: Caledonians
WM: Menoth
Dust: Axis & SSU
FoW: Ger. Grenadiers & Armoured Sqdrn.
BB: Undead

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Postby Cable » Tue May 02, 2017 2:14 pm

BigRedOne82 wrote:As someone who has been a rather vocal detractor of 7th edition, I would definitely say go for 8th all the way! There might be some logistics issues with a release on the day of the event, but hopefully Redcaps can ensure that they have enough free rules to go around--I heard that stores were going to have printed copies of the free release, but if it's available digitally we could probably get by with smart phones and laptops/tablets. The only question is will there be enough copies of the army rules? Everyone would have to buy them that day too...

Wait,........still using my "Cap'n Kirk" flip phone communicator ( no smartphone ) :lol:

Commodus
Princeps

Postby Commodus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 am

Things were up in the air for a bit there, but I am indeed still driving over for this. Has there been a decision on which Edition we'll be using? I'm picking up my 8th Edition materials tomorrow, so I can start rebuilding new lists next week.

Also, if LibertyHammer is switching to 8th Edition, will there be any changes to the composition requirements?

EDIT: I'm also looking for a partner for Sunday. I'm currently planning on bringing Adeptus Mechanicus.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Definitely 8th edition. Tentative format is 1000 points battle forged w/ at most 2 detachments, no restrictions on models. I hope to put out official notice by first thing Monday at the latest, hopefully tomorrow evening.

Glad you can make it! I'll ask around about a partner for Sunday, we'll figure something out.

Commodus
Princeps

Postby Commodus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Fantastic, after missing the Apocalypse game and all of Adepticon, I'm really looking forward to this!

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:43 am

Official 8th edition army construction rules for this weekend are up:

http://libertyhammer.com/#rules

They're real simple though: Matched play, 1000 points, 2 detachments. Doubles players make two separate armies that combine only once the match starts, so they don't have to share faction keywords across both armies. Further explanation at the link.

Return to “Miniatures”