June 24+25: LibertyHammer 40k Narrative

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

June 24+25: LibertyHammer 40k Narrative

Postby tjkopena » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:35 am

LibertyHammer 1000pt Individuals
Saturday, June 24, 10am to 9pm
$25 per player, including small store credit prizes, pizza lunch, and donation to the Free Library of Philadelphia

LibertyHammer Doubles
Sunday, June 25, 10am to 9pm
$50 per team, including small store credit prizes, pizza lunch, and donation to the Free Library of Philadelphia

A 40k narrative event continuing the story of the Darian Sector begun at last year's LibertyHammer weekend. Saturday features four 1000pt individual games and Sunday three rounds of doubles matches (1000pts per player). Players will fight for their alliance across the two days, but are free to only participate in one day or the other without penalty to themselves or their alliance. Both days will feature great terrain and our exciting, storyful missions: Shuttles crash, convoys are ambushed, civilians are slaughtered or saved, and many heroes and villains will be crowned! Small prizes will be awarded based on overall performance, craftsmanship, and particular achievements. This event is also an unofficial fundraiser for the Free Library of Philadelphia.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Re: June 24+25: LibertyHammer 40k Narrative

Postby tjkopena » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Commodus
Princeps
Name: Alex
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40K

Postby Commodus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:56 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:20 am

Quick notes following yesterday's exciting announcements about 8th edition:

GW says no standard 40k models are going to be invalidated in this edition, and all armies will be playable out of the gate. That was one of our big concerns, so if that's not the case we should be much more able to switch even if the release is fairly close to LibertyHammer weekend.

The one known caveat is that Forge World's Horus Heresy will not be switching to 8th right away (possibly at all?). We currently permit armies from the 30k books, but in our community it's such a very very small number of players interested in fielding them that we would switch to 8th edition regardless of that incompatibility. Heresy players, keep that in mind while signing up.

Other than that, everything sounds pretty good so far. We're very optimistic about this new edition and hope it comes out in time for this event!

8th-banner-sm.jpg
8th-banner-sm.jpg (77.3 KiB) Viewed 204 times

timothyd4y
Crux Mechanicus
Name: Timothy Day
What's your favorite game?: Craps

Postby timothyd4y » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

Cool. 2 days of play with the new rules would be a great way to get right into the new edition.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Worst case, suppose 8th edition drops on LibertyHammer Saturday. Would it be ridiculous to cut one of the four rounds so everybody could spend two hours frantically building a new army list to then play the rest of the day as they figure out the rules? I mean, it'd be ridiculous, but would it be too ridiculous?

If it drops even the week before I think we're good to switch. The week after, great, we'll blow out 7th edition in style. But I'm super worried about it releasing that very weekend, which would just be awkward all around. My hope is it comes out 2 weeks before, just enough time to not have to really scramble to get books, etc., but not enough time for the event to not be a messy, fun, totally new experience.

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

Postby DA John » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:45 pm

I would be playing a regular-old 40k army this year, so there is no danger of my Taghmata list showing up if I can make Libertyhammer.
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway

Commodus
Princeps
Name: Alex
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40K

Postby Commodus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 am

tjkopena wrote:Worst case, suppose 8th edition drops on LibertyHammer Saturday. Would it be ridiculous to cut one of the four rounds so everybody could spend two hours frantically building a new army list to then play the rest of the day as they figure out the rules? I mean, it'd be ridiculous, but would it be too ridiculous?

If Matched Play is similar to the same game type in Age of Sigmar, we might not need 2 hours. It's very much streamlined with regards to points and options.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 am

Serious question: What do we do if 8e drops June 17? That was my guess as soon as they put out the official announcement last weekend, because:

- That's 8 weeks of lead time from the announcement, which is enough to build a lot of hype but not overly draw out the rollout.

- I could see GW thinking the day before Father's Day is a great occasion to put out something like this---"Buy the new edition of his favorite game for your dear old dad/husband!"

- It'd be two weeks of drift, which seems like a reasonable amount, from the late May/early June estimate my crystal ball would have given earlier in the year if I had one.

And now BOLS is reporting June 17 rumors, backing up that guess.

I think if 8e comes out two weeks beforehand we definitely go for it.

One week out though is a tougher call. Redcap's regulars, as well as people generally, seem super super pumped for this, and I also think the edition is going to be much better and am excited. GW is doing a good job previewing rules, so people kind of know the score already and won't be going in totally blind. All armies and models being supported eliminates a huge concern, people won't have to scramble to physically build new stuff. I can update the missions & such super quickly. But I'm worried about people simply not being able to get the books in time, especially if supply doesn't meet demand.

My gut desire is that people & myself are so excited that if it did come out the week before, I really really want to switch. But I'm slightly nervous about the logistics.

Thoughts?

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Important addendum: I lost track and thought there were only vague rumors about the rules being made free online. But the announcement FAQ says:

How can I get the rules?
We’re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing. The core rules for the game will be free, and you’ll have several options on how you get your hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.

Definitely a bit of leeway there. From just that statement you could wind up in a situation where you didn't actually have enough rules to play a full game or at a tournament kind of level. But Age of Sigmar had basically everything available for free at launch so presumably if they're saying this for 40k then they'll do similarly. So maybe getting the materials won't actually be a problem?

Return to “Miniatures”