Tourny legal counts as Genestealer cults ?

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Tourny legal counts as Genestealer cults ?

Post by unseelied » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:25 am

As there are a lot of guys who both run tourneys and attend them on this forum I thought I'd run this by you guys

A little background. I picked up the Genestealer cult book and it seems like a fun army to play. Kind of random at times but they could be very powerful. The rules are good and the models look great but when I was drawing up army lists I realized that there was no way I'd ever be able to build this army. I need like 80 to 120 cult guys which GW is selling at 8$ each. On ebay I have seen 16 from the box set for 50$ which is still too much. I don't think we are going to see a lot of Genestealer cult armies on the tabletop which is a shame. GW what are you thinking? Troops should have been cheap like Ork boyz. On top of all that my recently arrived bundle of joy has sucked away almost all of my hobby time so it would take literally years for me to build and paint a 100 guys.

Thankfully I happen to have more finished painted zombies than anyone. I was thinking of doing a counts as genestealer cult using the undead as my main troops. Traitor guard will be the other troop choice and all the HQ will be Dark Mechanicus themed guys who are using evil necromantic powers and forbidden tech to raise the dead to fight for them. I only need a handful of HQ which will be fun to build and paint. Any elites could be some sort of mechanicus constructs. I'd need add some special weapons and banners here and there. The important thing is that boring bulk part of the army is ready to go saving me from having to build and paint a billion guys.

So here are my questions.

The cult troops in question are armed with a pistol, CC weapon and rending claws. I was thinking that if I added a smattering of pistols, holsters, some of the zombies already have clubs and such, that that would be good enough to cover the pistol and CC weapon WYSISYG. This would be in the same vein as Space marines all not needing to have bolters, pistols and grenades modeled on each and every model while actually having them in game.

I was then thinking that the zombie's grasping hands could represent the rending claws. Do you think that would be enough or do you think I actually have to add something else like a mechanicus saw arm or something to represent it?

Lastly the particular batch of zombies I want to use happens to be on square bases. I feel that there has been a recent relaxation of base size restrictions due to some SM being on 32mm and some on 25mm bases. Do you think I need to rebase 100 zombies onto round bases or do you think that square is fine?

Thanks for your input.

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: Tourny legal counts as Genestealer cults ?

Post by Cable » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:12 am

If your bases are nicely flocked/painted, then the size/shape should not matter (...as long as a the guardsman aren't on 50mm bases :mrgreen: ). Any debate on the 25 vs 32 mm size is bogus :!:

GW is selling a 'Neophyte Hybrid set" which is a set of Cadians with a separate sprue of cult heads/etc. Cost is $45. I'm sure E-Bayers will have the sprue separate. This would lower you cost. You could convert up some guard or zombie models your own with this sprue. Old tyranid bits like claws/talons/heads would come in handy too (.....again these bits should be available on e-bay)..

No one expects (either @ a tourney or a friendly game) all you models to be EXACTLY WISIWIG. Anyone on this site have frag/krak grenades on each + every space marine :?: I try to add some wisiwig bits throughout a unit or army. So I would add some cult like bits to your zombies +/or guard Steve. Save a lot of time building/painting/cost an all new army. AND the army could still be used as a "Lost + Damned" Chaos army :!:

Lastly the new models are "awesome" + I would mix in a couple of them into your hq/troops/elites/etc. Kinda' look like the unit/army is in the throws of mutation :!: :!:

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

Post by DA John » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:55 pm

Sounds fine to me. Lengthening zombie fingers with green stuff would do for rending claws in my book.

And GW doesn't even make it possible to properly arm marines: I had to raid my bits to find enough bolt pistols for my Calth Thousand Sons.
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Post by Cable » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:07 am

DA John wrote:Sounds fine to me. Lengthening zombie fingers with green stuff would do for rending claws in my book.

And GW doesn't even make it possible to properly arm marines: I had to raid my bits to find enough bolt pistols for my Calth Thousand Sons.
PLENTY of bits on........E-Bay :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Post by tjkopena » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 am

Isn't the primary cult box $80 for 15 models, so ~$5.33 each? I haven't been paying close attention to which generation fill what role, etc., though. Related: I'm not really actively looking to unload it, but if somebody would actually do something with them, I'd be happy to sell or trade all my Cult models from the Deathwatch: Overkill box. The HQs are assembled & primed, one familiar has a few thin first base colors on, but everything else is on sprue.

As a player & organizer I would have no problem with the zombies or their square bases. The square bases have advantages & disadvantages so they just wash out. If there was any pushback I'd cite the classic GW rule that whatever base they came with is legal. Definitely worth double checking with particular TOs though and letting them know you hope to play square bases. Can't really see any in the area objecting, especially if you mention that rule, but it'll definitely go smoother day-of if they're not considering it for the first time on the spot in the unlikely event that another player asks the TO about it.

Cable
Chaos Raptor

Post by Cable » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:09 am

tjkopena wrote:Isn't the primary cult box $80 for 15 models, so ~$5.33 each? I haven't been paying close attention to which generation fill what role, etc., though. Related: I'm not really actively looking to unload it, but if somebody would actually do something with them, I'd be happy to sell or trade all my Cult models from the Deathwatch: Overkill box. The HQs are assembled & primed, one familiar has a few thin first base colors on, but everything else is on sprue.

As a player & organizer I would have no problem with the zombies or their square bases. The square bases have advantages & disadvantages so they just wash out. If there was any pushback I'd cite the classic GW rule that whatever base they came with is legal. Definitely worth double checking with particular TOs though and letting them know you hope to play square bases. Can't really see any in the area objecting, especially if you mention that rule, but it'll definitely go smoother day-of if they're not considering it for the first time on the spot in the unlikely event that another player asks the TO about it.
I call ...."dibs".... :!: :!:
PM me with financials/trade request, etc.

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Post by unseelied » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:48 pm

The primary cult box comes with 10 guardsmen-like guys and only five of the guys you really want. You could run the army like that but at that point you are basically doing a guard army that is not as good as a normal guard army.

Sigismundo
Sword of Dorn
Name: Sascha Edelkraut (Alex)
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer40k

Post by Sigismundo » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:26 am

First I agree that Cult is and will be a very competitive army for tournaments.

I think the idea you have is pretty cool for a Zombie army now:
- Square bases for 40K is a no go, size of round bases is still going by the rule of thumb, use what they come delivered with, in your case of acolytes it's the 2mm but all hybrids are already on the bigger ones. I don't think anybody will say anything if you decide to base them all on one or the other.

- WYSIWYG, I would say it's fine with your army, only thing there should be a clear difference wich zombies are acolytes (2 arms) or hybrids (3 or 4 arms) maybe add some extra rending arms or saws to them.

- Idea for your characters sounds awesome I'm looking forward to see those.