January 7+8: 40k Winter Apocalypse!!!

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: January 7+8: 40k Winter Apocalypse!!!

Post by Cable » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:27 pm

jwoolf wrote:Ordo Lovell, the fifth temple

Special rules:

Perfect Harmon-y: At the start of any phase, or immediately following any phase, or halfway through any of your opponent's phases, you may assign this model one or all universal special rules. You may also redefine the value of any characteristic.
I thought it was called..........................Ordo Codexicus :mrgreen:

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:58 pm

jwoolf wrote:Ordo Lovell, the fifth temple

Special rules:

Perfect Harmon-y: At the start of any phase, or immediately following any phase, or halfway through any of your opponent's phases, you may assign this model one or all universal special rules. You may also redefine the value of any characteristic.
I think this was meant as a joke...but it really seems perfectly reasonable to me. So, are you guys going to allow it - keep in mind, I didn't put it out there, it was suggested as a fair and balance d way to allow me to play.

Lovell
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Post by tjkopena » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:14 am

More seriously, I believe the geomancy rules note that the spell can't move terrain if it can't be placed at its new location because of other terrain. I think we need some kind of rule permitting multiple psykers with the power to team up and move large terrain like Lovell's trenchworks and/or Necron Citadel, displacing other terrain underneath.

Also: Potentially a similar ability to stack vortex blasts so you can create bigger & meaner vortex bubbles.

I was kidding around, these are all obviously terrible ideas, but now I'm deadly serious. I could really really get behind John O and I bringing nothing but Librarians so we can Akira half the board.

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

Post by DA John » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:24 pm

tjkopena wrote:Also: Potentially a similar ability to stack vortex blasts so you can create bigger & meaner vortex bubbles.

I was kidding around, these are all obviously terrible ideas, but now I'm deadly serious. I could really really get behind John O and I bringing nothing but Librarians so we can Akira half the board.
I am so down with bigger and better vortexes. And I love the idea of a steel rain of libraria turn one.
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:11 am

Question - In terms of game balance, is a Titan considered the equivalent of a Super-Heavy?
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:38 am

Anything with more than 9 hull points/wounds definitely have to be considered separately. The actual Titans (Warhound, etc) in particular seem undercosted in points compared to their stats+loadout. Eldar being Eldar, the Revenant also needs to be considered separately from normal superheavies as a Titan even though it doesn't meet that threshold.

If you're talking about your Crusader though, what we definitely need to do first is make sure we're all proxying them the same way. You, John, and I all have them.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:19 am

tjkopena wrote:If you're talking about your Crusader though, what we definitely need to do first is make sure we're all proxying them the same way. You, John, and I all have them.
Joe - I proxy my Crusader as an Imperial Night (Castigator). Dose this not work?

Also - I am working on building some other Proxy Space Marine armies and need to know, what is the approximate scale of a GW Tank and a GW Super-Heavy?

Loell

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:55 am

EL Presidente!!!! wrote:Joe - I proxy my Crusader as an Imperial Night (Castigator). Dose this not work?
No, that's perfect. As long as they're all variants of Imperial Knights & no one's looking to use them as Titans, I think that's fine.
EL Presidente!!!! wrote:Also - I am working on building some other Proxy Space Marine armies and need to know, what is the approximate scale of a GW Tank and a GW Super-Heavy?
You mean to adopt scale model tanks? It gets complicated. 40k is nominally closest to 1/48 scale, though in reality it's all over the place: Space Marines are at a smaller scale, weapons are at a bigger scale, Rhinos are maybe half their size at that scale, etc.. So a lot of 1/35 vehicles also fit well. Older vehicles in particular, which tend to be smaller, might work well at 1/35 scale. I would probably try 1/48 for a regular tank and a different type of 1/35 tank for a superheavy. Definitely don't invest in too many at once until you're sure the size is ok.

For an example, the truck in my Medea Refinery set is a 1/35 model kit, and its fits in really well as a large industrial transport:

Worth noting that's a 1940s truck, which were much smaller than modern trucks, which is part of why I went 1/35 rather than 1/48.

Biggest issue you'll have is that the weapons on scale models are decidedly smaller than on 40k models. A huge 50cal machine gun basically looks like a stubber that any cultist might run around with. Though not a weapon, you can see that in the duffle bags and canteens on the ground & truck in that picture. They're from a 1/35 scale kit, so that they'd be bigger & chunkier looking compared to the figures, like all 40k wargear is, even though 40k figures are closer to 1/48.

There's a really good chart here that has dimensions for some of the common 40k vehicles, and the sizes for common scale models:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Scale ... ts_for_40K

As you can see, a 1/48 M113 is basically a Rhino. Nothing really matches up with a Baneblade because 40k vehicles tend to be much wider than real vehicles. But a 1/35 T35 or M2A2 are probably reasonable proxies.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:26 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141545289808?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141640755190?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Joe, here are two models I am thinking of proxying into my Proxy Space Marine army. The first is a flyer, the second is a tank. I'm using these models for Space Marines

http://dreamforge-games.com/products/ei ... opers-redo

and the 15mm Crusader http://dreamforge-games.com/products/1- ... n-crusader as a Dreadnought and this model as an HQ http://dreamforge-games.com/products/va ... play-model

I really like the models and figure 40K is the only way I'm going to get them on the table in a "real" game. The army will have my 28mm Crusader still serving as an Imperial Knight.

....thoughts...

Lovell

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:56 am

By the dimensions listed there, the Warzone Leviathan tank seems very close in size to a Landraider, and would work well as that. Baneblade superheavy chassis is ~5+ cm longer.

I had some trouble finding dimensions on the Space Marine flyers and don't have any handy. But you could probably proxy that Warzone flyer as either a Stormraven (the SM transport) or Stormhawk (the new DW transport). It's probably more similar to the latter as they both have more squarish aspect ratios, unless the Stormhawk's much smaller than I'm thinking.

The Eisenkern Valkir Heavy Troopers are probably usable as a wide variety of power armored models.

I think the 15mm Leviathan is more similar in size to a Dreadknight, but it'll be totally fine for our games. It's a disadvantage, the model's going to be harder to hide & get behind cover because it's taller than a Dreadnought.