June 25+26: LibertyHammer---A 40k Narrative Event

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

Sigismundo
Sword of Dorn
Name: Sascha Edelkraut (Alex)
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer40k

Re: June 25+26: LibertyHammer---A 40k Narrative Event

Post by Sigismundo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:29 pm

And what with the formations from the book? They are not very good but somebody might want to give it a try...

BigRedOne82
Iron Within
Name: Colin
What's your favorite game?: WH40K

Post by BigRedOne82 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:43 pm

I think the formations should be kosher. It's no different than one demon player using formations out of the Wulfen book that they own, but a Wolf player not having it and so just using his base codex.
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons
KoW: Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins, Ogres & Dwarves
Infinity: Caledonians
WM: Menoth
Dust: Axis & SSU
FoW: Ger. Grenadiers & Armoured Sqdrn.
BB: Undead

Oblivionh
Hunter
Name: n/a
What's your favorite game?: n/a

Post by Oblivionh » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:58 am

tjkopena wrote:I don't see how we could accept them given that many flyers haven't even been adapted to work under the new rules...
Simple solution: If your flyer doesn't have fancy new agility stats, you are allowed to equip that flyer with a free powerfist :lol:

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Post by unseelied » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:59 am

I have a question about the new FAQ and how it relates to this event and my army list. I am planning on running my bike army. There was some debate about if you could give your apothecary a stormshield and a grav gun in a command squad. I believe that last time it was ruled that at Redcaps you could not do that. However, according the new GW FAQ you actually can do that. Now I understand that the FAQ is not yet "official" but there is no denying that there intention was for it to work in this fashion. The same goes with other changes like the changes to grenades and the limits on superfriends lists. So how are you going to address these changes for this event? Can I bring my tooled up apothecary?

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Post by tjkopena » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:16 am

Current plan is to adopt all of them except the Drop Pod doors and impassable walls, but including the Dreadnought attacks. I have been really hoping they'd put out a final version to fix those bigger issues, and to ensure they don't come up with a different answer if the Facebook team writing these things go back and talk to a different member of the design team about smaller stuff like the Apothecaries.

Long story short, Steve, you should kit out your Apothecary as you want. Even in some crazy universe where they did put out a final version next week and reversed themselves, I'd treat it as legal given the timing.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Hilariously, I spoke too soon. GW already reversed the Apothecary ruling:
Screenshot_2016-06-16_21-51-12.png
Screenshot_2016-06-16_21-51-12.png (19.17 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
It was buried way deep in a comment to the Facebook posts. I hadn't seen any news talking about this specifically or the fact that they were already changing several rulings in the Facebook comments. People on DakkaDakka pointed it out, actually somebody coming to LibertyHammer.

But, Steve, I'll still stand by the commitment above to treat whatever you want to do as legal. It's just not that big a deal, so totally fine if you already made plans.

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Post by unseelied » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:25 am

I magnetized those parts so I will just take them off. I will have to find a spot for 25pts. There is no point in running them incorrectly for this one event. It would be better for me to stay on top of how the unit works with only the four stormshields and grav so that I have a better feel for how much punishment they can take and how killy they are.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:46 am

​One week to go until the big LibertyHammer throwdown!

Basics
We have a number of players signed-up for their first organized 40k event, which is fantastic. These are just a couple quick pointers and reminders for those players.

You must bring typed, printed copies of your army list (5 for Saturday, 4 for Sunday). One of them will go to the organizers for quick review and a post-event writeup. The others are for your opponents. They'll use them right then to better understand what is in your army. Many players also write up battle reports or maintain a log of games, and keeping a copy of the army lists helps with that. Everybody should also quick sanity check each other's lists as best as possible.

Make sure to bring all the codexes, datasheets, and other rules needed for your army, as well as your measuring tape, dice, markers, and everything you need to play.

Please review the rules and stats for your army beforehand and be reasonably familiar with them. Beginners are very, very welcome, and this is a casual, friendly event. However, we are trying to pack a lot of gameplay into each day and there are time limits for the games (2 hours for Saturday, 2.5 for Sunday), so you want to keep things moving as best as possible. There is absolutely zero shame in including accurate notes on special rules or stats in your army lists or on notecards for quick reference.

You should bring a tray of some sort for moving your army around between matches. Some players will have a fancy display board for doing so, but a box lid will also work just fine. You want to be able to keep everything organized and be able to move in one swoop without risking dropping models. As best as possible you probably also want to bring just the army you're playing, not your whole collection, so you don't have a ton of bags/boxes to lug around. That said, there is a fair amount of room at Redcap's. Each match on Sunday will have a standard amount of side table space. With current registration, there will also be a good amount of side table space on Saturday. Even if it fills though, all of Redcap's wargaming tables have a shelf underneath that can be used for models, books, bags, etc..

Painting
The overall scoring mechanism has not been finalized yet, that's this weekend's project! However, a component of the overall score will be our standard rubric:

* All models assembled and primed [+5 pts]
* All models three-color minimum [+5 pts]
* All models based (paint/flock) [+5 pts]
* Advanced painting techniques present (washes, drybrushing, etc on at least one model) [+5 pts]
* Advanced basing techniques present (grass, sculpting, etc. on at least one model) [+5 pts]

In addition, separately there will be a prize each day based on player voting for the best army by painting and craftsmanship. Before the dinner break anybody that wants to compete for this will put their army out for display and we'll collect ballots afterward. You cannot win a painting prize both days, the prizes will bump to the next in line.

FAQs
Everybody, and especially players new to the Redcap's and PAGE 40k community, should quickly check out the small FAQ we maintain and play by.

After much stalling in hopes that a final version would be published, we are not going to adopt the various errata sprinkled throughout the new GW 40k FAQ drafts. Everybody should build their armies and play games as if those did not exist. We have four big concerns:

* The draft FAQs contain several notable internal contradictions.
* Very few players have read through and processed the updates in detail yet.
* The state of them is just confusing, especially "suggestions" like the update for Dreadnought attacks.
* At least one significant errata (Apothecary upgrades) has already been quietly reversed by GW deep, deep in the Facebook comments.

In sum, except in narrow cases where it specifically affects their army, no one we've observed seems to be playing with these changes naturally yet. It seems likely that adopting them would lead to inconsistency throughout the day as some players remember to apply them and others don't. More importantly, we have little confidence that there is one single, cohesive shared understanding of the contents given that further clarifications and at least one errata to the errata have been made, unannounced, in the Facebook comments to the drafts.

All that said, this is a fun, casual event. If you've been designing an army around a strong assumption of some aspect of these FAQs being now standard, you should get in touch and we'll see if it's reasonable to adopt. We're talking about playing with space dollies for a weekend. It's just not that serious, and we want everyone to have the best time possible.

Terrain
Several new boards have been or are being built for the event, tied directly into the campaign story and mechanics. Many of these have a lot of flavor and will also feature in-game effects, such as exploding fuel tanks. For just one example, check out the Medea Refinery, featuring a lot of traditional scratchbuilding, custom 3D modeling and printing, and a great paint job from a small PAGE crew:

Fight!
Registration is very good at this point. There are just three spots remaining for Sunday's doubles event, and we know at least one additional team firmly committed and another possible, so anyone on the fence should sign up today if you want to join the action! For Saturday's solo event there will all but certainly be space to register on site day-of, but it would definitely be easier all around to sign-up online in advance so please do so if at all possible. You can register quickly and easily with a credit card or PayPal account at libertyhammer.com. You do not need to commit to both days, there is no disadvantage to you or your alliance for coming out for just Saturday or Sunday. Registration fees are all going toward lunches, small prizes, and a charitable donation to the Free Library of Philadelphia. We look forward to seeing you there!

johnny llama
Invisible Centurion
Name: John Lamanna
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40k

Post by johnny llama » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:32 am

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Post by Cable » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:26 am

Think I "dislocated" my back watching that music video :!: