2016 Winter Recon Squad + Apocalypse: January 2nd & 3rd

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

2016 Winter Recon Squad + Apocalypse: January 2nd & 3rd

Post by tjkopena » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:41 am

Without a home and newly without their major supply base, the Kingbreakers Space Marines drifted through the void for a time seeming interminable. Then they turned toward action: "They take one of ours, we take one of theirs..."
It's time to start planning this year's Apocalypse grudge match! January 2nd and 3rd, The Forces of Order will be trying to bounce back from last year's defeat by the Legions of Discord.

Details

Alliances, rules, schedule, and other details will be maintained here:
Similar to the 2015 event, the mini-campaign will be two days:
  • Saturday, January 2nd: Recon Squad + Mortalis Solypsus
  • Sunday, January 3rd: Apocalypse!!!
Check out last year's battle report to get a feel for the whole event. This forum thread is stickied to serve as the main point of planning and other discussion.

Sign-Up

A sign-up form has been posted here:
Please fill it out! You can change your responses, nothing will be locked down until mid-December. But the earlier we know who's playing, what armies, points, etc., the better we can plan the event. Responses may be viewed here.

jwoolf
Fallen
Name: Jason
What's your favorite game?: Mordheim!

Re: 2016 Winter Recon Squad + Apocalypse: January 2nd & 3rd

Post by jwoolf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Scabiethrax claimed, puny mortals!
headwound! minis: http://www.headwoundminis.com/

Can't stopf the Wolfkopf

DA John
Fallen
Name: John O'Connell
What's your favorite game?: 40k

Post by DA John » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Ruling on 28mm Leviathans?

I see the Kingbreakers' chapter master is thinking of running his as a warhound. Mine is in an advanced state of painting--I started the livery this morning. I don't mind running it as a Knight Castigator but . . . warhounds. . .

I guess my fear is that many of us have one, and we could end up with a titan joust.
40k: Dark Angels, Sisters
30k: Taghmata
Warmachine: Iron Kingdoms RPG-curious
AD&D 1e: campaign underway

Oblivionh
Hunter
Name: n/a
What's your favorite game?: n/a

Post by Oblivionh » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:21 pm

The Sanguine Hunters phoned up Holy Terra after old scallywag (scabiethrax) ran roughshod over the flank on Solyphus.

The Grey Knights are inbound. You can keep your fancy warhounds and daemons. We have something more powerful than your apocalyptic weaponry....

We have plot armor!

Oblivionh
Hunter
Name: n/a
What's your favorite game?: n/a

Post by Oblivionh » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:33 pm

So yes I will be bringing Kaldor Draigo also known as Breaker of fluff, Destroyer of logic, Master of convenient plot twists, First of the Mary Sues, Lord of the Fanboys, Scion of special snowflakes, Kaiser of the Question "Wait he has that special rules", and the real reason Stella got her groove back.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:40 pm

TJ, to your question on the form, it's not a problem at all for you to run Space Marines one day and Grey Knights the next. I don't think that's weird at all. I'll be running Deathwatch for the Recon Squad, and Kingbreakers for the Apocalypse.

John, I'm not super sure what to do about the Crusaders. Lovell also has one, being painted right now. They're not as big as an official Warhound. But I think they are similar to the older Armorcast Warhounds Tom's been using, and Steve's scratchbuilt Warhound. I believe they're definitely bigger than a standard Knight. It would probably work as a Forgeworld variant Knight, just because it's not so dissimilar from a standard Knight but visually different. The big thing is probably just agreeing on how to play them so they're all the same.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:12 pm

Joe, my model is more on the size of an Imperial Knight rather than a war hound.
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Post by Cable » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Oblivionh wrote:So yes I will be bringing Kaldor Draigo also known as Breaker of fluff, Destroyer of logic, Master of convenient plot twists, First of the Mary Sues, Lord of the Fanboys, Scion of special snowflakes, Kaiser of the Question "Wait he has that special rules", and the real reason Stella got her groove back.
Stop mixing "METAPHORS"................................I'm three beers in, dazed and confused (que......................the Led Zeppelin song) :mrgreen:

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:01 am

Lovell, do you have the 15mm or 28mm Crusader?

Tom, it would be great to work toward a backwater planet. Can you get your fantasy terrain painted? How many pieces do you have?

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Post by Cable » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:43 am

tjkopena wrote:Lovell, do you have the 15mm or 28mm Crusader?

Tom, it would be great to work toward a backwater planet. Can you get your fantasy terrain painted? How many pieces do you have?
I have several GW sets.........2 old style circular low tower hard foam GW pieces, one dreadstone converted slightly taller tower, one smaller tower, one large "skull/chaos/island/I can't remember the name piece", one small multi column ruins piece and two other fantasy pieces [all but the hardfoam have to be painted]. Not sure I'll have the time to paint all. I also have a "chaos portal conversion" that's not finished/painted.

So.............enough "stuff" to cover a decent portion of the apoc board.

Whatdayathink :?:
Last edited by Cable on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.