PAGE Apocalypse 2015: January 3rd & 4th

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

PAGE Apocalypse 2015: January 3rd & 4th

Postby tjkopena » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:17 am

First Sergeant Scolirus collapsed heavily onto the low rubble wall behind him. All about him the city had been turned into a charnel house, every surface coated with guts and patches of skin from the burst greater daemon lain low before him. As he flexed his fingers his powerfist squelched with ichor and all his armor had a thick wash of blood. He closed his eyes as he listened to his squads regrouping, took a long deep breath, and stood back up to start issuing new orders. The war wasn't over, but perhaps the tide had turned.

The forces of Order and Discord go at it again in the fourth round of their grudge match! The teams go into this round tied at 1-1-1 after the upset win by Order last winter. This year we're planning to expand the conflict a bit, so everybody get to scheming and painting!

Showdown!

Ring in the new year by destroying some hive cities and/or burning heretics, whichever may be to your taste!

• WHAT: PAGE Recon Squad and Apocalypse Campaign!
  • WHEN: The Apocalypse will happen:
    • Saturday, January 3rd, 2015: Recon Squad and Cataclysm narrative.
    • Sunday, January 4th, 2015: APOCALYPSE!
  • WHERE: Joe K's house, by 19th St & Washington Ave on the Center City/South Philly border
    • Parking: Pull up in front of the garage to drop your stuff off, then look for street parking nearby. Be conscious of not blocking garages and the occasional No Parking signs, particularly on the end of 19th adjacent to Washington.
    • Lunch: We'll probably arrange to order lunch and dinner just ahead of those breaks, but there is a variety of pizza, sandwiches, and Chinese within a two block radius.

In the first day of skirmish (Kill Team) and small army (Combat Patrol) battles, players will compete to achieve or deny different tasks for their team in various sectors of the Apocalypse board, affecting the mega-battle to come the next day. Both days are of course optional. The campaign mechanisms will permit players to do one day but not the other, in either direction. Details are being developed in this thread and tracked in this post.

Previous Years

Notes from years past in this series (not the Ork apoc, etc.):

Schedule

This event will run as smoothly as a nemesor's clockwork heart!

Saturday: Recon squad

• 09:30 DOORS OPEN---arrive, unpack, setup terrain and campaigns
  • 11:00 Recon Squad Round 1
  • 12:15 Lunch
  • 12:45 Recon Squad Round 2
  • 14:00 Recon Squad Round 3
  • 15:15 Recon Squad Round 4
  • 16:30 DINNER
  • 17:00 Cataclysm!
  • 21:00 CLEANUP
  • 21:30 All done---except for the scheming!

Feel free to leave your armies overnight for the next day's Apocalypse!

Sunday: Apocalypse

• 08:30 DOORS OPEN---arrive, unpack, setup/rearrange terrain
  • 09:30 Deployment
  • 10:20 Turn 1 (55 min per side)
  • 12:10 LUNCH
  • 12:30 Turn 2 (55 min per side)
  • 14:20 Turn 3 (50 min per side)
  • 16:00 Turn 4 (50 min per side)
  • 17:40 DINNER
  • 16:00 Turn 5 (45 min per side)
  • 19:30 Turn 6 (45 min per side)
  • 21:00 CLEANUP
  • 21:30 All done---the valiant celebrate, the vanquished cry into their beer!

Teams and Players

The armies of legend for this year are:

The Forces of Discord
  1. Colin (CSM Black Legion & Iron Warriors/Demons)---confirmed, commander
  2. Brett (CSM/Demons)---confirmed
  3. Tom (CSM)---confirmed
  4. Sean (CSM)---confirmed
  5. Steve (CSM)---confirmed (probably just Apoc)
  6. Lovell (Necron Maynarkh Dynasty)---confirmed
  7. Justin (Necron Maynarkh Dynasty)---confirmed
  8. Warren (CSM/Demons)---confirmed
  9. Benn (Necrons)

The Legions of Order
  1. Joe K (SM Kingbreakers/AM Forest Guard/IK Forestway/IQ)---confirmed, commander
  2. Jason (SM Imperial Fists/DA)---confirmed
  3. John L (SM Iron Hands)---confirmed
  4. Akil (Eldar/Dark Eldar)---confirmed
  5. Dan (AM Steel Legion)---confirmed
  6. Carl (Tau)---confirmed
  7. John O (Mechanicus/DA)---confirmed
  8. Aaron (Death Guard)---confirmed
  9. Matt Lechtenberg (AM Valhallans)---just Recon Squad/Cataclysm
  10. Rob W (AM)

Each team is lead by a commander, as noted, who organizes members pre-game; allocates points, Strategic Asset cards, and other resources; tracks time during turns; and executes other management tasks.

Unique units declared so far are:
The Forces of Discord
  • Steve: Knight Commander Pask
  • Lovell: Kutlakh the World Killer
  • Justin: Nemesor Zahndrekh, Vargard Obyron
  • Warren :Kharn
  • Sean: Typhus:
  • Brett: Fateweaver, Be'lakor

The Legions of Order
  • Joe: Captain Angholan (Vulkan He'stan), Inquisitor Hersch (Coteaz), (Master Harath Shen)
  • Matt: Commissar Sebastian Yarrick
  • Jason: First Captain Darnath Lysander
  • John O: Grand Master Sammael

"Negotiated" units so far are:
The Forces of Discord
  • Colin: Hellhammer
  • Sean: Baneblade
  • Tom: Warhound
  • Steve: Brass Scorpion
  • Lovell: Obelisk, Transcendant C'Tan, Gauss Pylon
  • Steve: Greater Brass Scorpion or Warhound
  • Tom: Warhound

The Legions of Order
  • Ohmygod we're gonna get stomped... Call for backup, call for backup!!!

General Rules

The Apocalypse and Recon Squad/Cataclysm lists do not have to have any connection, they don't even need to be the same factions.

All models must be fully assembled and should be at least primed. Proxies are permitted, but WYSIWYG is strongly encouraged as it keeps things moving more quickly and prevents errors, both especially important with so many models in play.

Recon Squad!

Saturday, January 3, will be a full day of small army skirmishing using PAGE's Recon Squad and Cataclysm rules for 40k:

Army construction rules for Recon Squad are in the PDF. A draft of the missions and legacies are available from our December Redcap's tournament.

The 500pt Cataclysm list is a standard 40k army, except it must contain the 200pt list and have no other HQs outside any you worked into your Recon Squad. It's essentially adding 300pts to the Recon Squad. Dedicated transports may be added to the original Recon Squad units, but not additional wargear or models. The Recon Squad's Leader (defined in the PDF) becomes an Independent Character HQ with +1WS +1BS +1I +1W, must be the army's warlord, and counts toward detachment structure (i.e., for Objective Secured). Allies and all other shenanigans are allowed in the 500pt list.

Apocalypse!

Sunday, January 4, will be a major slugfest in an all-day Apocalypse grudge match. Most of the game rules are in our Cataclysm PDF, and the following lists the army construction and play rules specific to this match.

Army Lists and Titans

Players should design lists of 3000 points each. Adjustments will be made as necessary on the final run-up to the event and on gameday itself. If anyone definitely wants to take fewer points (don't have the models, etc.), please let your commander know so they can reallocate the remainder.

There are no faction, detachment, Force Organization Chart, or other army list structure requirements or constraints except that each player must have at least one HQ unit in at least one detachment.

All codexes, expansions, supplements, dataslates, formations (Apocalypse & regular), and Forge World books are allowed, with no limit on the number of sources. The most recent source for particular units and models must be used. A reasonably comprehensive tracker for that is maintained by Redcap's in the forum.

Any models with more than nine Hull Points or Wounds must be negotiated between the teams.

Units that are only available with the selection of another unit or rule, or are only available within a certain FOC slot with such a selection, remain so despite the relaxed FOC requirements. For example, Dark Angels can still only take Terminators as Troops if they are also bringing Belial.

Unique units must be so across a team's entire force; multiple players on the same team may not field the same unique unit.

Warlord traits and psychic powers are determined simultaneously before bidding for deployment order.

Each player must designate an HQ model as their warlord. Each team must designate a particular warlord as their team's warmaster, its supreme commander on the battlefield. Warlords and the warmasters are declared simultaneously before bidding for deployment order.

Setup, Scenario, and Scoring

The match will run for a fixed 6 turns. Strategic Objectives scoring for Victory Points and other events triggered by "breaks" in the Apocalypse rules will be executed after turns 2 and 4, with a final round of scoring at the end of the match after turn 6. All Troop units not otherwise barred from scoring have the Objective Secured rule, regardless of their detachment type. Only Objective Secured units may score strategic objectives following turns 2 and 4.

Play Rules

Wrecked vehicles are left in place as usual and treated as difficult and dangerous terrain. However, they may be shot at or assaulted, treated as an AV 10/10/10, Immobilized, Open Topped vehicle with 1 Hull Point. Any glancing or penetrating hit removes the wreck. Vehicles may also ram wrecks following the usual rules, potentially damaging the ramming vehicle but removing the wreck.

Vehicles that explode are replaced with a suitably sized crater (or proxy) as available.

PDFs

Divine Intervention
A player can invoke their appropriate Divine Intervention once per game at the start of their turn once the criteria have been met. These may not be in use, TBD!

Their Finest Hour
A player may invoke their appropriate Finest Hour ability once per game at the start of the game. In addition to the special effect, their Warlord then has a 3+ Invulnerable and Eternal Warrior until their next turn, and may order an All-Out Attack. These may not be in use, TBD!

Strategic Assets
Default rules are that each team gets one asset card per player, with allocation coordinated by the team. A card cannot be chosen more than once by a side. Cards marked "Strategic Resource" cost a Victory Point to play.

Datasheets

Chaos Formations

++Deep within the bowels of the Phalanx, Forgemaster Ariston depressed the runes as heavy blast doors slid open. Here, within the quiet heart of the Imperial Fists' armoury, dwelt the most ancient weapons of war. Some among them had slept for ten thousand years or more, to be awakened only in times of most dire need.

Ariston bowed his head reverently, and then stood tall with renewed purpose. "Brothers!" he intoned, his implanted vox-caster crackling. "You know I'm all about that bass! 'Bout that bass!"

The combined might of the Imperial Fists, most stalwart of the Emperor's legions, chanted in unison: "No treble."++

johnny llama
Invisible Centurion
Name: John Lamanna
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40k

Re: PAGE Apocalypse 2015: January 3rd & 4th

Postby johnny llama » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:46 pm

This has fantastic idea written all over it.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Postby EL Presidente!!!! » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Last year I got to deploy my Necron Fortification, this year I may be switching sides and running my IG Armored Column detachment...but the Transcendent C'Tan is calling my name

Lovell
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Postby Cable » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:25 pm

EL Presidente!!!! wrote:Last year I got to deploy my Necron Fortification, this year I may be switching sides and running my IG Armored Column detachment...but the Transcendent C'Tan is calling my name

Lovell

C'tan says,..........................."Bring your Bugs"................. :mrgreen:

BigRedOne82
Iron Within
Name: Colin
What's your favorite game?: WH40K

Postby BigRedOne82 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm

From my back of the napkin figures, and assuming all the usual suspects (plus some new ones) are in, it looks like the Chaos side might need some reinforcements:

EVIL WILL ALWAYS WIN:
1. Colin (CSM/Demons)
2. Brett (CSM/Demons)
3. Warren (CSM/Demons)
4. Tom (CSM)
5. Steve (CSM)
6. Benn (Necrons)

GOOD IS DUMB:
1. Joe (SM/AM)
2. Jason (SM/DA)
3. Dan (AM)
4. John (SM)
5. Carl (Tau)
6. Justin (SW)
7. Akil (Eldar/Tau)
8. Lovell (AdMech)
9. Rob (AM)

If Lovell switches sides and plays his Necrons again, it would be seven to eight, and we could make up the balance by taking more points each. Joe, perhaps you and I should switch to email to try and rally the troops, then reconvene and adjust accordingly. I would personally be okay with balancing through taking more points, as would most of the Chaos guys I would suspect, since we are generally all looking for excuses to use more of our toys...
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons
KoW: Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins, Ogres & Dwarves
Infinity: Caledonians
WM: Menoth
Dust: Axis & SSU
FoW: Ger. Grenadiers & Armoured Sqdrn.
BB: Undead

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Postby tjkopena » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm also going to reach out to John O'Connell, the Dark Angels player. I haven't seen anything from Steve in a while, so we should reach out to him directly as well. Ditto Warren. Benn will probably see the thread, but I'm going to swing by the shop today or tomorrow for paints so I'll bring it up if he's in. If Jason really wants to light a fire under his Chaos, this is a good time for it... Some of the IG could also easily swing to Discord. Rob's army literally stops just short of having swastikas on their armbands, and does actually have child soldiers. I'm pretty sure they can fight for the bad guys, no questions asked (*).

The only rule I care about that Librariuses don't count toward points limits! Also, Kingbreakers have "Preferred Enemy (Colin)."

(*) I strongly approve of the commentary on the Imperium implicit in his army. These are the good guys???

johnny llama
Invisible Centurion
Name: John Lamanna
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40k

Postby johnny llama » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Rob has a very strict no alliances with the Chaos powers that the Firehouse crew has never managed to get him to break from. You'd have to have a truly silver tongue to get him to make that switch! Remember, this is the man with the aquilla tattooed on his chest that you're talking about.

Maybe Dan might be open to playing disorder?

BigRedOne82
Iron Within

Postby BigRedOne82 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm

@ Joe: I would recommend confirming with the Harmon sons as well since they aren't particularly active on here.

@ John (and Joe): I think the easiest move is for Lovell to play Necrons alongside Benn like we planned last time. We will have no problem making up the points for a one player difference on the Chaos side.

@ Joe (again): Also, I was thinking that we keep the one Warhound and Reaver Titan (assuming Tom is in and bringing them) per side as a bonus to the points limit* and allocated to a player on the team by their Warlord. Any other superheavies that a player wants to bring should be part of their own armies and come from their own points. At the moment I am not planning on using any of my three Baneblade chassis vehicles, but I will bring them as ad hoc filler in case a no show leaves the sides unbalanced.

*I vote 3000 pts x the number of players on the biggest team.
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons

BigRedOne82
Iron Within

Postby BigRedOne82 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:19 pm

tjkopena wrote:I'm also going to reach out to John O'Connell, the Dark Angels player. I haven't seen anything from Steve in a while, so we should reach out to him directly as well. Ditto Warren. Benn will probably see the thread, but I'm going to swing by the shop today or tomorrow for paints so I'll bring it up if he's in.

Just to be safe I will send out an email to the current Chaos/Necron team as I know it to get an initial idea of availability.

Cable
Chaos Raptor
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Postby Cable » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:29 pm

My son may be interested in this event, since he would be home that weekend. He could easily use some of my Chaos collection :twisted:

I will confirm shortly.

Return to “Miniatures”