MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

Locked
User avatar
Cable
Chaos Raptor
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 pm
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by Cable » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:35 pm

unseelied wrote:I won the Mechanicon BFG tourney again this year. Sadly only three of us showed up to play. With GW no longer making models for BFG I feel that that is going to be a growing trend.

I have to say that I wasn't that much of a fan of the venue. What did other people think? I did appreciate how close it was. Last years event was way way up in northern BFE but the venue was pretty swank. Was it the same cost as last year? How was attendance on Saturday? It seemed a little light on Friday night but maybe that was an illusion caused by the height of the room.
Congrats on your win Steve!!

So even though you took your "weak Ork armada" you still won. Great generals always come out on top.......................................WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH :mrgreen:

Dangerous Dan
Squig
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:26 am
Name: Dan Boyd
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer 40k

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by Dangerous Dan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 pm

tjkopena wrote:Good photos & report Dan. You can post photos in the forum via the "Upload attachment" tab below the edit box. It's kind of a pain though, I wouldn't recommend it for more than a photo or two.

What did you guys think of that 3rd mission, with the Maelstrom tactical objectives? It wasn't adjusted at all to deal with drawing meaningless cards?
So, I wasn't a huge fan of that mission, but my opponent's army list was what beat me, there. 4 Flyrants is an extremely tough nut to crack. I've been experimenting with deckbuilding to make the tactical cards more balanced: Before the game, each player chooses 18 cards from the deck. They're the only cards the player can draw. It introduces another level to the game, but it's been pretty fun overall. You've really got to be strategic with your choices.
Cable wrote:Great write up and photos.

I hope the "army he didn't paint" didn't win best painted :!:

As a group did everyone think there was "more fluff" than "power stuff"?
That dude did win best overall, and painting was definitely factored in to his score. I thought the lists, except for Carl's, were all reasonably friendly.

User avatar
Cable
Chaos Raptor
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 pm
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by Cable » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Dangerous Dan wrote:
tjkopena wrote:Good photos & report Dan. You can post photos in the forum via the "Upload attachment" tab below the edit box. It's kind of a pain though, I wouldn't recommend it for more than a photo or two.

What did you guys think of that 3rd mission, with the Maelstrom tactical objectives? It wasn't adjusted at all to deal with drawing meaningless cards?
So, I wasn't a huge fan of that mission, but my opponent's army list was what beat me, there. 4 Flyrants is an extremely tough nut to crack. I've been experimenting with deckbuilding to make the tactical cards more balanced: Before the game, each player chooses 18 cards from the deck. They're the only cards the player can draw. It introduces another level to the game, but it's been pretty fun overall. You've really got to be strategic with your choices.
Cable wrote:Great write up and photos.

I hope the "army he didn't paint" didn't win best painted :!:

As a group did everyone think there was "more fluff" than "power stuff"?
That dude did win best overall, and painting was definitely factored in to his score. I thought the lists, except for Carl's, were all reasonably friendly.
I wonder if the T.O. Tony was aware of this :?: Could have dramatically changed the top spots :!:

User avatar
BigRedOne82
Iron Within
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:06 am
Name: Colin
What's your favorite game?: WH40K

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by BigRedOne82 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:36 pm

unseelied wrote:I won the Mechanicon BFG tourney again this year. Sadly only three of us showed up to play. With GW no longer making models for BFG I feel that that is going to be a growing trend.

I have to say that I wasn't that much of a fan of the venue. What did other people think? I did appreciate how close it was. Last years event was way way up in northern BFE but the venue was pretty swank. Was it the same cost as last year? How was attendance on Saturday? It seemed a little light on Friday night but maybe that was an illusion caused by the height of the room.
Meh, the venue wasn't anything special, but you couldn't beat the location unless you moved it back to West Chester where it used to be. Not sure about cost, but Mechanicon has always been a little pricey for the venue/format/swag IMO. They do give out lots of prizes, but even still probably only half of the folks in attendance got something. I'd rather see a bit more go into the swag bags to "spread the wealth." It looked they were giving out lots of small boxes and blisters in groups of 2-3 for some of the prizes; that stuff could have easily been added one per swag bag so it would be a bit more substantial.

It does seem to draw a group of dedicated hobbyists and not too much cheese, though, which is nice. I think there were only two Adamantine Lance formations (and I'll bet if you asked Carl he would have preferred to be using something else) and no Eldar players whatsoever. Not a whole lot of solo Knights either, which was a shame because Knights and Eldar were most of what I planned my list against. If I had known what was going to be in attendance, I definitely would have gone with something else!
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons
KoW: Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins, Ogres & Dwarves
Infinity: Caledonians
WM: Menoth
Dust: Axis & SSU
FoW: Ger. Grenadiers & Armoured Sqdrn.
BB: Undead

User avatar
Cable
Chaos Raptor
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 pm
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by Cable » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:12 am

Colin, what would you have switched out for what??

User avatar
BigRedOne82
Iron Within
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:06 am
Name: Colin
What's your favorite game?: WH40K

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by BigRedOne82 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:21 pm

I ran triple Land Raiders protected by two full Void Shield Generators, figuring that the Land Raiders are immune to Serpent Shield spam (only S7) and that the void shields would protect me from the powerful, but limited, shooting of Knights. If I had known what the environment was going to be, I would have run my patented Chicken Wing o' Doom, which is Be'lakor casting Shrouding to protect a Lord of Change and a Tzeentch Demon Prince, who then jink for a re-rollable 2+ cover save. I don't even have to Swoop for protection (Be'lakor uses Invisibility on himself), so they can go punch things with their +2S Pimp Canes. It's a tough group, but it's useless against the cover ignoring Serpent Shields that most Eldar players are spamming these days.
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons
KoW: Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins, Ogres & Dwarves
Infinity: Caledonians
WM: Menoth
Dust: Axis & SSU
FoW: Ger. Grenadiers & Armoured Sqdrn.
BB: Undead

User avatar
Cable
Chaos Raptor
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 pm
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by Cable » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:45 pm

BigRedOne82 wrote:I ran triple Land Raiders protected by two full Void Shield Generators, figuring that the Land Raiders are immune to Serpent Shield spam (only S7) and that the void shields would protect me from the powerful, but limited, shooting of Knights. If I had known what the environment was going to be, I would have run my patented Chicken Wing o' Doom, which is Be'lakor casting Shrouding to protect a Lord of Change and a Tzeentch Demon Prince, who then jink for a re-rollable 2+ cover save. I don't even have to Swoop for protection (Be'lakor uses Invisibility on himself), so they can go punch things with their +2S Pimp Canes. It's a tough group, but it's useless against the cover ignoring Serpent Shields that most Eldar players are spamming these days.
Thanks for the info!!

User avatar
Cable
Chaos Raptor
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 pm
What's your favorite game?: 40K

Re: MechaniCon 2014, October 24-26 in Oaks, PA

Post by Cable » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:43 pm

10389988_10152881125124047_1714296621817547168_n.jpg
10389988_10152881125124047_1714296621817547168_n.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
Colin representing or........................posing :mrgreen:

Locked