PAGE Apocalypse: January 4, 2014!

Talking up Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine, Hordes, Coreheim, Flames of War, Battlefleet Gothic, and others.

Moderator: jwoolf

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

PAGE Apocalypse: January 4, 2014!

Postby tjkopena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Hulgurth stood on the ridge crest, chainsword heavy in his hand. Every wheezing breath was a gurgling, pustulent pain in his mutated throat and wrecked lungs. Surveying the Imperial army arraying itself on the plain below, manufacturum silhouetted behind, he smiled thinly. He did not know for whom death would come today, but he knew it would come in great number.

Apocalypse!

Prepare to ring in the new year by destroying some hive cities, and/or burning of heretics, whichever may be to your taste!

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Re: Apocalypse: January 4, 2014!

Postby tjkopena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Everybody better mark and furiously defend their calendars for that day, or you shall truly know the emperor's wrath.

BigRedOne82
Iron Within
Name: Colin
What's your favorite game?: WH40K

Postby BigRedOne82 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:54 pm

KILL MAIM BURN! KILL MAIM BURN! KILL MAIM BURN!
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons
KoW: Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins, Ogres & Dwarves
Infinity: Caledonians
WM: Menoth
Dust: Axis & SSU
FoW: Ger. Grenadiers & Armoured Sqdrn.
BB: Undead

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Postby EL Presidente!!!! » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Gauss for everyone!!!!

Can I play my own side? :evil: :twisted:
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:05 pm

I have been thinking about that a little. We've done a good job in the past with variant rules for multiplayer games---alternating activations and stuff like that. My big meta-concerns are:

1) A lot of interleaved player schemes don't actually lend themselves to parallelism, so it could actually run a lot slower.

2) It's one thing to experiment with and screw up a 2--3 hour game. It'd be another to blow an Apoc game with some poor designs.

That said, we have a couple months to think about it & test out some ideas on smaller games.

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Postby EL Presidente!!!! » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Joe,

Can I play with my Necron Fortification? Disclosure - it's a 2x2 piece of Terrain that cost 300 points. I will also want to bring my Necron Super Heavy - the Gauss Pylon.

Lovell
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Postby tjkopena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 pm

Actually, I was going to ask about that, specifically how big it is. I don't have any problem with it, and assume no one else will as well. We'll just have to make sure we save space on the table for it, and you might be constrained on where it will fit on the table. If I do actually get my act together and get a terrain project going I may take it from you early so I can factor that into it, leave a hole somewhere or something.

BigRedOne82
Iron Within
Name: Colin
What's your favorite game?: WH40K

Postby BigRedOne82 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:13 am

tjkopena wrote:I have been thinking about that a little. We've done a good job in the past with variant rules for multiplayer games---alternating activations and stuff like that. My big meta-concerns are:

1) A lot of interleaved player schemes don't actually lend themselves to parallelism, so it could actually run a lot slower.

2) It's one thing to experiment with and screw up a 2--3 hour game. It'd be another to blow an Apoc game with some poor designs.

That said, we have a couple months to think about it & test out some ideas on smaller games.

Give the Imperials a piece of tech that does something cool--either use a fixed or variable result from the mysterious objective rules (but only a good result). This could be only controlled by a non-vehicle unit (and one not in a transport), and it is treated like a "Relic" including cannot leave the table. If the Necrons control the tech at the end of the game then they win; if either of the other teams control it (it's not an objective though), or it is uncontrolled, then they lose. Make all the Necrons non-scoring/non-denial so they wouldn't be "tempted" to help out the Chaos side other than by shooting; also, allow them to shoot at and be shot at, by either side (Chaos or Imperials). They can only fight in assaults with against Imperials though, which would allow them to act during the Chaos turn. The only real incentive for us (Chaos/Necrons) to shoot each other would be to get at the cool artifact though, and maye a Chaos player's secret objective could be to control the tech to ensure that there was some conflict there. Maybe an Imperial player could have that same secret objective as well (I'm assuming that you still want to use that concept; I think it's pretty cool!), which would really cause some conflict.

As a side note, Lovell are you bringing your sons, either to help with your army or to play forces of their own?
40K: Chaos Marines/Demons (15,000+ pts), Catachans, Angels of Death, Orks & Crons
KoW: Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins, Ogres & Dwarves
Infinity: Caledonians
WM: Menoth
Dust: Axis & SSU
FoW: Ger. Grenadiers & Armoured Sqdrn.
BB: Undead

unseelied
Mutant Overseer
What's your favorite game?: Battlefleet Gothic

Postby unseelied » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:22 am

One thing we might try is to have each player have a secret goals above and beyond what the team is going for. That way we can also have individual winners on each side, whomever got the most or something, and it will allow you to feel like you are playing your own faction in some small degree and not just a cog in the machine. Maybe have a list of ten possible and you pick two.

When I've in the past tried three handed games of 40k it seemed to work OK if you made the teams go after the person on their right and try to claim an objective they where defending. That way everybody was attacking someone and defending against someone else and no one got double teamed. Still I think that a three handed game of Apoc will most likely just slow things down. Often in the past when I've played apoc I've noticed just because of the range of the weapons involved, you for the most part fight the guy in front of you. When you finally get another players deep strikers in or arty from off the table is when the game starts to bog down. You have to roll against three different people, one at a time and that leaves three other people picking their nose. I think a three handed game will only increase this trend unless Joe knocks out some walls in his house and builds an enormous triangle shaped table.

What exactly does the fortress of cheese do anyway Lovell? Is it just terrain or is it like a fortress of redemption? Maybe taking over the fortress could be the point of the battle on the right side of the board or something. Look at me forging a narrative.

Do we have some idea of the points yet? I want to bring my warhound. I will attempt to get it painted by then.

Can I mix and max my forces or am I limited to just one faction? I am in a weird place as technically my traitor guard and my fallen spacewolves are both loyalist, they are only modeled as chaos worshipers. I've been running Dark angels allies in the guard recently, also loyalist. I've been working on an admech army using greyknight henchmen rules, again loyalist. I'd like to use this game as a motivator to finish up one or two units of that army and use them. I also have a crap ton of zombies and normal chaos guys. Anyway I am all over the place and I'd like to just play whatever mix of forces I have finished and painted. If I can do that I can probabally field at least 6000 points counting the super heavy.
If thats not cool I guess I will run all fallen loyalists to have more options.

Is forgeworld stuff in as well? I'd like to get a look at some of the available formations for chaos and guard. I have a super giant chaos spawn I've never used or finished. I was going to run it as a greater brass scorpion if no one cares or as a super giant chaos spawn if the rules are cool. Needs work though so the sooner I know the better. I have the old rules for the apoc greater brass scorpion. Have they changed?

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer

Postby EL Presidente!!!! » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Necron Tomb Citadel
300 points before upgrades
Two key structures Tomb Ziggarut and Power Crucible - both are AV 14 And are destroyed on a 5 or 6 penetrating hit roll
Can dock a Monolith or Sentry Pylon for +1 Str to their shooting attacks
Has Eternity Gate like Monolith
Power Crucible - units on it have a 3+ Inv Save against shooting
Units on it get to re-roll 1s on Reanimation Protocol
Can have up to two Gun Emplacements (either Tesla Destructors or Gauss Exterminators)
Can have Com Relays
Can create Scarabs like Tomb Spyders
Moving on and off if the Citadel counts as difficult terrain

Before you judge this model, please remember, we the Necrons were old, before your Eldar were born!

Return to “Miniatures”