Deathwatch: Overkill

Forum for boardgames, wargames, card games, party games, whatever.

Moderator: jwoolf

EL Presidente!!!!
Nightbringer
Name: Lovell Harmon
What's your favorite game?: ShadowFist

Deathwatch: Overkill

Post by EL Presidente!!!! » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 am

RedCaps posted a pre-order on this game...anyone else been following this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194 ... h-overkill

Lovell
"You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years, yet have little of account to show for your efforts. Such failure must be as depressing to bear as it is pathetic to behold." - Imotekh the Stormlord

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Re: Deathwatch: Overkill

Post by tjkopena » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:46 pm

I picked up a copy.

Immediate first impressions:

The sprues are impressive. At first I thought "Wait, aren't there supposed to be a ton of models in this?" Then I realized there are, 50 figures plus some other bits, they're just all packed onto 4 sprues.

The portraits of the Deathwatch characters do a great job of portraying these guys as freaks. You would not look at them and say "Aw man, I wanna be a Space Marine!" Terrible scars, 'roided out builds, and just plain ugly mugs. The variety of skin complexions makes them seem really weird---a bunch are distinctly not human-normal---and captures well a really varied empire of many different planets. Cassius' teeth finally capture the fact that Marines could rip you to shreds and poison you with those alone; he hasn't flossed in a couple decades... The Genestealer hybrids look a lot more human than the Deathwatch in the portraits, which I really approve of.

There's a good new picture too of Cassius prepping for battle, with a bunch of twisted servitors and such. The Imperium is not a pleasant place, yo.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:44 pm

My impression after a read-through of the rules and components is favourable. Definitely worth giving it a play at some point. It's basically like Space Hulk, but with a bit more flexibility and variety (though I have not played the most recent Space Hulk). There's a lot of different weapons, models with movement and other abilities, etc.

The mechanism for attacks is kind of interesting. Models have profiles for various attacks. Many of those encompass multiple weapons, e.g., a Chaplain's Crozius and bolt pistol. Attacks then have different stats at assault, close, and maximum range. So the different weapons are captured in that. E.g., at assault the Chaplain gets the 3 attacks you'd expect (veteran+double melee bonus) and with what amounts to the Crozius' AP. At further ranges though it's just the bolt pistol shooting.

It does seem to address a major problem I have with Space Hulk: The board is generally only a tile wide and you can't move through models, so it's not actually super tactical (it's a resource allocation game). Here you move between zones, not single-model cells, so you can rearrange your stack for tactical effects.

That said, it does have an easily fixed but major problem that makes me worry about 40k 8th: Attacks are measured between models, not bases :(

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:45 pm

I don't know if anybody else got a copy, but I made PDF patterns to make tuckboxes for the two card decks:

http://rocketshipgames.com/40k/deathwatch/

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Two more thoughts hit me:

- There's no concept of LOS in the game. Thematically it makes some sense, you're moving about gantries in an open mining pit. But that means shooting is strictly driven by range and target priority.

- There are no sensor blips like Space Hulk has. Cult models come on via ambush cards the Broodmind player can put at various points around the map. Each turn you can hold one back, but otherwise they reveal bad dudes, and I don't think any are blank. So there's nowhere near the same amount of tension about what's actually coming at you as in Space Hulk, where a blip might be blank, might be a lone dude, or might have a whole pack.

So, all told, I suspect it's probably a much simpler game than Space Hulk strategically.

Sigismundo
Sword of Dorn
Name: Sascha Edelkraut (Alex)
What's your favorite game?: Warhammer40k

Post by Sigismundo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:08 pm

cool thanks for all the info Joe! Much enjoying reading your comments.

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:35 am

Tragically I have found out too late that the instructions are wrong, and the Magus and Primus are supposed to go on 32mm bases, not 25mm as the assembly guide says. So I guess two of my remaining older unassembled Marines are getting the big upgrade to 32mm so I can give their 25mm bases to two of the cultists who just had theirs stolen by their jerk ass cult leaders. I will also remember to trot this out whenever the discussion about bases comes around again and I can note my annoyance with the inconsistent, artistic base sizes. T3 spindly human-shaped figures should be on 25mm, GW, get your act together!

tjkopena
Kingbreaker

Post by tjkopena » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Now the real question: Will I get my Deathwatch: Overkill set assembled and painted before GW apparently re-releases Lost Patrol in June? It's got Scouts, I can't turn that down! The race is on...