A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Forum for boardgames, wargames, card games, party games, whatever.

Moderator: jwoolf

Members_Only
Gretchin
Name: Nick C
What's your favorite game?: Game of Thrones: the Board Game

Re: A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Post by Members_Only » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Awesome, we're set! Monday Dec. 8th, 5:30pm @ Redcap's Corner in Powelton Village.

I'll bring my copy of the game and we can choose houses and such on site.

Good luck, and Valar Morghulis

Members_Only
Gretchin
Name: Nick C
What's your favorite game?: Game of Thrones: the Board Game

Post by Members_Only » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:03 am

Game went very well! Thanks to everyone who participated and once again congrats to Daryl (Martell) on the victory.

Possible session review coming soon to boardgamegeek

tjkopena
Kingbreaker
What's your favorite game?: Race for the Galaxy

Post by tjkopena » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah, that was a really good game.

Seemed pretty clear where I majorly went wrong was taking Lannisport rather than Riverrun (there's a good map here). My cutthroat play style got the best of me and I couldn't pass up the opportunity for the unexpected stab at Lannisport. Unfortunately, I misread the board and thought Charles' unit in the Seaboard Marches had already moved. They hadn't, exposing me to counter-attack that turn. If I'd just slowly advanced into Riverrun I would have added another castle in time for the next muster, and more importantly prevented either of them from having it.

Not moving a footman into Flint's Finger earlier was a lesser problem but also unfortunate. I consciously wasn't because I figured I could always take it and had better things to do. But the relatively high number of musters in this game meant that was a missed opportunity.

Also critical in the Clash of Kings were I moved near the top of all the tracks was Daryl opting not to give me the messenger. With that on the next turn I could have switched an order on Moat Cailin. I'd played defense expecting to get attacked, but everybody else basically did the same, so I could have switched to offense and jumped into Winterfell, giving a chance to win the game on the spot that turn.

I'd definitely be up for another game, probably realistically late January or early February given some other gaming happenings in the interim (our 40k events).